[News] Mobile Linux Conference Near, Linux Conference in Croatia

Mobile Linux Conference Set To Debut At LinuxWorld 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| IDG World Expo, the leading producer of world-class tradeshows and events
| around the globe has announced that LinuxWorld Conference & Expo(R) will
| include a new event, the Mobile Linux Conference, to address the increasing
| penetration of Linux into the mobile handset marketplace. During the
| conference, attendees will receive in-depth technical training, strategic
| insights, and hands-on experience in mobile Linux from industry experts
| covering topics including application development and deployment, power
| management, mobile initiatives, best practices, and more. LinuxWorld
| Conference & Expo is scheduled to take place August 4-7, 2008 at the Moscone
| Center.
`----

http://www.consumerelectronicsnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=350959

Croatia Open systems days / Linux users conference 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| It's my great plesaure to announce in the name of Central State
| Administrative Office for e-Croatia,Croatian Linux Users' Group and Croatian
| Society for Open Systems the biggest and oldest Croatian conference on Linux
| and open systems...
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/croatia-open-systems-days-linux-users-conference-2008-632964/#post3110444
http://tinyurl.com/5wzslo

There's a gradual move to GNU/Linux, FOSS and ODF there.

Last week:

ODF accepted as Croatian national standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, after a four hour meeting, Croatian CSI accepted ODF as a national
| standard.
`----

http://www.oddparity.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=1#usercomments

Related (from Croatia):

Digitally Free Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Marco Fioretti started new personal initiative which will hopefully make lots
| of parents and teachers understand why they cannot ignore FOSS and Free
| Culture anymore in the interest of their own children. He's going to publish
| a directory of Digitally Free Schools, that all parents may check when
| choosing a new school for their children.
`----

http://kost.com.hr/blog/index.php?title=digitally_free_schools&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Croatian government defined open source policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Croatian goverment specified how to handle open source in
| government offices, ministries and agencies. Document is called Open
| source policy and it gives good push to open source implementation
| in government bodies.
`----

http://kost.com.hr/blog/index.php?title=croatian_government_defined_open_source_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Croatian government adopts free software policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically it feels that proprietary software leads to too much dependence on
| suppliers, which can damage the market competition.

Croats embrace open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Croatian government has decided to dump proprietary software and
| move entirely to Open Source.

Microsoft trying to delay ODF adoption in Croatia

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.oddparity.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=1