[News] CTO Explains Why Free Software is Better for IT, Hadoop Chooses FOSS

Open source is good for IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is good for IT (the customer), period. I believe it is us, IT
| customers, who are driving open source adoption. In a way, it reminds me of
| the music industry, and how digital music was driven not by the big music
| companies, but by consumers.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/ny-cto/archives/2008/04/open_source_is.html

Hypertable Lead Discusses Hadoop and Distributed Databases

,----[ Quote ]
| At the time that we started on the project, an open source Bigtable
| implementation did not exist, so we decided to build it ourselves. The reason
| that we chose open source is because we felt that an open source
| implementation of Bigtable would be inevitable. By leading the development
| effort, we would have a leg up on the competition in terms of knowledge,
| expertise, and credibility.
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/04/hypertable-interview

Recent: