Re: [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software

____/ Robin T Cox on Thursday 03 April 2008 08:57 : \____

> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:21:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Assume they mean OpenOffice? LXer cites it, so it seems like good news.
>> They still seem to be listening to Microsoft-funded shills called
>> Gartner.
>
> The UK Tory Party have already said that when they are elected they will
> promote a much wider use of open source software in government.
>
> http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.story.page&obj_id=135394
> http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.story.page&obj_id=135408

Also noteworthy from the article above:

____
    Suffolk told Gartner, “I think we have fundamentally failed on a worldwide
basis as an IT industry to understand the cost of what we do. And I roundly
blame Gartner for this, because you guys are the ones who come up with TCO
[total cost of ownership] benchmarking. It has become a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

    “So, I go out and I pick boring desktop infrastructure. What price do you
think the suppliers broadly pitch? You will not be shocked to know that it is
somewhere around the Gartner TCO benchmark.”
___

So do you see how Gartnersoft fixes the prices? Old quote:

“Microsoft did sponsor the benchmark testing and the NT server was better tuned
than the Linux one. Having said that, I must say that I still trust the
Windows NT server would have outperformed the Linux one.”

–Windows platform manager, Microsoft South-Africa
Reference: Outrage at Microsoft’s independent, yet sponsored NT 4.0/Linux
research

Also this:

“Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
prickly to work with.”

–Microsoft, internal document

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
Tasks: 108 total,   2 running, 106 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie