[News] USENET Uses Slurs to Mislabel Linux Advocates

Linux and FOSS - Are You An Advocate or a Zealot?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, it appears I am not a Zealot although some would disingenuously call me a
| Zealot simply because I am an Advocate of Linux and FOSS. We in the Linux
| community see this type of supposed slander often in USENET news groups and
| in online forums.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/01/linux-and-foss-are-you-an-advocate-or-a-zealot/

Related:

Sounds like another fanboy rant to me

,----[ Quote ]
| I found this comment while I was browsing through an MS-Windows oriented site
| where a blogger said something nasty about Microsoft. It isn't even worth to
| refer to the link, because it has nothing to do with this story. It's about
| the name-calling these Microsoft fans do. I
| heard 'zealots', 'bigots', 'advocates', the whole lot. Words I never knew
| before, because English is not my native tongue. I don't mind to be called a
| fanboy, because that is what I am. What may be not too clear to these
| Microsoft zealots is why I am a fanboy. It's not because I really dig
| this "free the software, free the world" ideology. That came much later. It's
| because I like this "gimme the source" idea.
|
| [...]
|
| As a matter of fact, I think that Microsoft itself has created the "Linux
| fanboys" they are complaining about, just like all the legal trouble they
| have found themselves in the last few decades. In Dutch there is a
| saying "wie goed doet, goed ontmoet", which means that all good things come
| to those who make them happen. I think the reverse is true as well. So next
| time you call me a "Linux fanboy", remember why I became one. To all
| those "Windows fanboys" I'd like to say, I've become a Linux fanboy because I
| have used Linux for a long time. Have you? I know first hand what MS-Windows
| is all about..
`----

http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2008/01/sounds-like-another-fanboy-rant-to-me.html

Free software, free speech

,----[ Quote ]
| If you win, your ego is boosted and when you lose you have at least learned
| something. But there are a few tale-tell signs that indicate you've reached
| the end of the line. When your opponent tells you to shut up, he's in fact
| waving the white flag. When the name-calling starts it means he is out for a
| final, berserk attack. It's not about the issue anymore, it's about you, the
| messenger.
|
| I can understand that a teenage, underprivileged geek reacts like that, but
| not mature people who are blessed with the gift of words and the privilege of
| a good education. Regular visitors of my blog know that nothing outrages me
| more than people who apply these guerrilla tactics. Whether it is Ian
| Ferguson who said that "the flaming Linux bigots should take a backseat",
| Mohit Joshi, who equaled GNU to communism or the more recently Bruce Byfield,
| who obviously couldn't take the heat anymore and decided to proclaim
| unilaterally that all bloggers who don't agree with him are
| automatically "conspiracy theorists".
`----

http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2008/01/free-software-free-speech.html

Are Linux users really a feral bunch?

,----[ Quote ]
| It is, however, uncommon for a writer to set out to deliberately provoke
| Linux users with over-the-top stuff - just to prove his contention that said
| users are a bunch of ferals.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15198/1091/

How Not to Treat Your Readership

,----[ Quote ]
| Given how the technology and methods the Linux community uses are constantly
| villified, ridiculed, and held in contempt by competitors; by ill-informed IT
| professionals and hobbyists; and now by journalists who use lies and
| outrageous comments to hold the community's response up for ridicule--is it
| any wonder why the community is so defensive in their responses?
|
| That's not a justification of bad behavior, but it certainly puts such

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-10-26-025-26-OP-CY

http://slated.org/linux_still_doesnt_make_it_on_desktop_is_pure_fud

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

In Defense Of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Naysayers position open source as a sort of geeky pleasure that’s best
| reserved only for unwedded twenty- and thirty-something males residing in
| basements owned by parental figures. That the Linux platform is the product
| of a wide network of hobbyists. That the solutions which subsist within the
| Linux system are not worth equal attention to big-name products from firms
| like Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, and others.
`----

http://www.profy.com/2007/08/30/in-defense-of-open-source/

Astaro "paved the way" for VC-funded open source companies

,----[ Quote ]
| "Back then, to base a business on products built using Linux and open source
| was a fairly new idea. We were out in the market for fundraising and venture
| capital, but the investors we talked to were very averse to the idea that
| with open source that you would not own your intellectual property. Our
| employees got the idea, and the customers loved it, but the investing
| community seemed allergic to open source. We were forced to bootstrap for two
| or three years until we could show traction."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118780

Meet Mark Radcliffe: The man who rules open source law

,----[ Quote ]
| Matters such as SCO's Linux assault and Microsoft's hints of legal action
| against open source software makers and users tend to dominate the public
| discourse around open source code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/open_source_mark_radcliffe/

German and US researchers lay low, question just how far new law will go

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=132255&WT.svl=news1_5

,----[ Quote ]
| What if Linux and Free and Open Source Software became illegal to use due
| to “national security?”  Never mind the fact that the American military uses
| it.  Never mind the fact that Microsoft funded both political parties in the
| year 2000.  Never mind that Richard Stallman has accused Microsoft of
| enabling terrorism in the first place.
`----

http://nixedblog.thenixedreport.com/?p=55

Top 5 Linux Myths

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2618&Itemid=449

,----[ Quote ]
| "After a long and arduous journey that included a suspended validation last
| year .. OpenSSL has regained its FIPS 140-2 validation"
|
| "We called it the FUD campaign," he says. "There were all kinds of
| complaints sent to the CMVP including one about 'Commie code.' .. Silly or
| no, each complaint that's filed really slows down the process."
|
| "the ones they did see often contained redacted, or blacked-out, data about
| who had filed the complaint .. in some cases, proprietary software vendors
| were lodging the complaints.

Tech writers think Ubuntu is for morons

,----[ Quote ]
| What is it about Ubuntu Linux that makes otherwise competent technical
| writers switch to Moron Mode? Everywhere I turn, I see articles on how to do
| obvious things in Ubuntu. Books on Ubuntu concentrate on listing every
| insignificant detail of every obvious procedure; things that are inherently
| self-explanatory are explained in depth. Subjects that have any inkling of
| technical complexity are skipped because, "Whoa -- those are way too hard for
| you stupid Ubuntu users to grasp, so let's just skip them and pretend
| everything's peachy."
`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/340

IT Pro Learns Lesson Through Linux Install

,----[ Quote ]
| Repeated efforts at Nationwide Mutual Insurance to try Linux on the
| mainframe faced internal opposition, some of it from IT employees
| worried that a mainframe-based server consolidation would be a
| threat to their jobs. They "fought tooth and nail to keep it from
| happening," said James Vincent, a mainframe systems engineering
| consultant at Nationwide.
|
| Their resistance taught Vincent a lesson that he put to use after
| the Linux project was finally approved in 2005. Part of Vincent's
| job involved working with the employees who had feared the
| project, including IT staffers who worked on Unix systems.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/56144.html

The commie smear against open source

,----[ Quote ]