Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

____/ Robin T Cox on Wednesday 02 April 2008 18:25 : \____

> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:15:50 -0700, Darth Chaos wrote:
>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/09/government-
> spooks-helped-microsoft-build-vista
>>
>> Excerpt:
>>
>> Microsoft is not the only one to tap the spooks. Apple, with its Mac OSX
>> operating system, and Novell with its SUSE Linux also asked the NSA what
>> it thought of their products. The NSA is quite good at finding weapons
>> of mass destruction that are not there.
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/08/
> AR2007010801352.html
>>
>> Excerpt:
>>
>> For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help
>> of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign
>> officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush
>> administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has
>> helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating
>> system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan
>> horses and other insidious computer attackers.
>
> LOL that's brilliant! With friends like the NSA who needs enemies?
> Obviously the NSA are as incompetent as the rest of the Bush
> administration.
>
> However, it's nice to know that MS are so closely tied into them.

I think that for this reason the Chinese government wanted to build its own
Linux. It goes back to something I read about two years ago, so I can't find
the source or recall it precisely. In years to come, it will be natural for
governments to require full control of the source code they compile, not just
what they are allowed to view (they viewed Windows source code).

These things are complicated and production of software cannot be entirely
separate from politics at a higher level (that's just what they want you to
believe though). Ignorance is bliss.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s): 25.5%us,  3.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.0%id,  4.5%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st