[News] Application Startup Time in Linux to Improve, New Filesystems Compared

Kernel space: ELF prediction to speed application startup

,----[ Quote ]
| A new technique might make it faster to get started with a large application,
| by giving the kernel advance notice of what are most likely to be the
| program's commonly used memory pages
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=369937208&rid=-219

Comparing UBIFS And LogFS

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the recent announcement that UBIFS is nearly production ready, it
| was asked how UBIFS compares to LogFS. LogFS author Jörn Engel
| suggested, "both share similar design goals. Biggest difference is that ubifs
| works on top of ubi and depends on ubi support, while logfs works on plain
| mtd (or block devices) and does everything itself. Code size difference is
| huge. Ubi weighs some 11kloc, ubifs some 30, logfs some 8."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Comparing_UBIFS_And_LogFS

Already looking ahead:

Plans for the Linux-next Tree

,----[ Quote ]
| "Now that we are (presumably) approaching the next merge window, can I ask
| what use (if any) will you be making of the linux-next tree? Alternatively,
| is there any information you want from it?" Stephen Rothwell asked regarding
| the tree he started maintaining last month for tracking upcoming stable
| merges.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Plans_for_the_Linux-next_Tree

DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQxMQ

Related:

Startup times

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS 2007 (on my home laptop, a middle-of-the-road machine): 40 seconds
| Mandriva 2008: 40 seconds
| Xubuntu 7.10: 45 seconds
| openSUSE 10.3 (clean install, OSS/KDE): about 45 seconds
| Fedora 8: about 50 seconds (a huge improvement over the last few versions :-)
| Windows Vista: 3 minutes 45 seconds
| ...What?
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/12/startup-times.html

Ubuntu vs. That Other OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
| time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
| it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
| takes 30 seconds more than what I’ve uploaded to idle the hard drive.
`----

http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/11/ubuntu-vs-that-other-os/

Is your Anti-Virus software slowing down your Vista boot time?

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft first announced the feature set for Vista, one of the things
| they claimed was that you would actually have shorter startup times, but we
| later discovered that what they meant was that there would be power saving
| features that would make it easy to put your PC into sleep mode when you're
| not using it and quickly resume.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/12/10/is-your-anti-virus-software-slowing-down-your-vista-boot-time/

The Vista Sleep of Death

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, I have to admit I did have issues with the Vista Sleep of Death
| (so-called). Sometimes my computer would go into sleep mode and be difficult
| to wake up.
`----

http://www.alaskainmydreams.com/blog/?p=73

Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing we just can't wrap our mind about is the terrible,
| broken, and completely pitiful support for waking Vista up from
| a Deep Sleep or hibernation.' Any time you attempt to wake Vista
| up from Hibernation or "Deep Sleep" (S3-induced sleep mode), it
| dies. It's either a BSOD, or a driver error, or a broken network,
| no DWM, lack of sound... the list goes on, and on. So much for an
| operating system to "power" the future! (No pun intended!) That's
| with properly-signed drivers and no buggy software on
| multiple PCs...
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/299

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image.
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Vista Irritations

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this Slashdot article, copying, moving and deleting
| files is slower under Vista. At least now I know why extracting a
| compressed file under Vista is like watching paint dry/grass grow
| (I've only tried using Winzip 11).
|
| [...]
|
| Now we name our directory and it?s done right? Not quite, because
| after typing your directory name and pressing enter, it's time
| for yet more prompts...
`----

http://harrisben.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/vista-irritations/

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
| versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
| on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
| Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
| Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
| recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
| you want snappy performance.
|
| [...]
|
| The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
| feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
| ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
| appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
`----

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/BusinessWeek/2007/03/26/3124001

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
| Copying files from my XP video capture pc to my Vista pc is 3 times
| slower than copying from my XP video capture PC to my old XP PC.
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a server
on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer

,----[ Quote ]