Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 02 April 2008 04:57 : \____

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_on_hi_te/linux_pcs;_ylt=AmMkrzVz2.r6AtxNXqhj8RJk24cA
> [...]
>>>
>>> Business computing suppliers are finding open-source
>>> desktops especially gaining traction in cost-conscious
>>> developing markets. For example, a PC distributor in Eastern
>>> Europe is packaging software from IBM Corp. and Linux vendor
>>> Red Hat Inc. to create Microsoft-free desktops for that
>>> market.
>>>
>>> One buyer is Aleksandar Spagnut, a director of Moscow-based
>>> Rushotel, which needed new desktop PCs for a hotel-building
>>> project. Spagnut said his company saved 30 to 35 percent
>>> over comparable Windows machines. He added that Linux PCs
>>> are now common enough that a snowball effect is emerging,
>>> whereby technical support and "drivers" — which essentially
>>> tell programs how to interact with hardware — are much
>>> easier to find.
>>>
>>> "This really makes the difference," he said.
>>> [/quote]
>>
>> It speaks mainly about the low-end machines, but not much
>> about the smartphones, various devices and supercomputers
>> where Linux puts Windows to great shame. Of course, Microsoft
>> knows all of this and that's why it fears Linux so much (an
>> article showed this about a year ago, but I can't think
>> how/where to find it now).
>>
>> Failing to compete, muck raking is all Microsoft will have
>> left. Rigging votes, astroturfing, intimidation, protection
>> rackets, etc.
>>
>> The above are signs that Microsoft's days as dominant on the
>> desktop (the only area where it succeeded) are numbered.
>>
>> Just watch the company reaching out for a loan:
>>
>> Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the
>>> first time in its history to fund a portion of its $44.6
>>> billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo Inc.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205
>>
>> With the Web (Live), Windows Mobile, XBox, Zune and so many
>> other products losing literally $billions, it's hardly
>> surprising that Microsoft is running low on cash. It can't
>> even fight copyrights infringement (Windows, Office) in the
>> vast majority of the countries because that would drive more
>> people to GNU/Linux, which takes 20 minutes to install on
>> /existing/ hardware (unlike Macs).
>
> IMHO, Microsoft is basically showing signs of a company that has
> lost its way and is on its way to decline.
>
> I remember when McDonnell Douglas Corporation, Douglas Aircraft
> Company was trying to reinvent itself by embracing the TQM
> movement back in the late 1980's.  Poorly done, they lost $329
> million US in the quarter following implementation, which John
> McDonnell, then President stated it was the cost of doing business.
>
> The fines by the EU remind me of this.  Douglas kept producing
> derivative aircraft that could not compete on price even though
> they were older technology, whilst Boeing produced newer aircraft
> (757, 767, 777, etc.)  Vista is a reminder of this.

Let Microsoft stooges and hecklers just keep it coming. It only comes to show
that they are worried about Linux (Microsoft names it #1 threat), which
already totally dominates HPC, grows very quickly in phones, is seen as de
facto choice for embedded and mobile devices and is also making progress on
the 'desktop', which is becoming passe anyway (smartphone increasingly serve
as a substitute, with thin clients following).

The other day, Forrester published some fundings that showed an _increase_
of .5% for GNU/Linux in the _US enterprise_ in just _one year_. Emphasis on
_US_ and _enterprise_ because it's the worst 'niche' where you can gauge Linux
adoption. Microsoft is willing to spend $billions in dumping (already done in
some countries) to slow down the momentum, but it failed to halt the momentum.
Meanwhile, it's running low in terms of cash.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
 10:00:02 up 13 days, 21:09,  4 users,  load average: 1.43, 1.81, 1.56