[News] Economics and Research Center on GNU/Linux PCs

WhatTheyThink.com's Economics and Research Center

,----[ Quote ]
| Other small devices with an eye toward connectivity include the Asus Eee; the
| company expects to sell 5 million units this year, worldwide. The typical
| configuration sells for $400. About 60% will be Windows XP-based, with the
| balance using Xandros Linux. Other products include the Intel Classmate,
| Everex Cloudbook, and the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) computers. The Everex
| and OLPC run Linux. There has also been significant progress in the
| development of 3D applications that make reading and navigating on these
| devices easier and more like a book or magazine.  FFEI, the FujiFilm Graphics
| spin-out, and Dalim’s Virtual Library are two examples.
`----

http://members.whattheythink.com/home/drjoe221.cfm

Microsoft Jack is meanwhile pimping pink Vista. Cheap shot at Linux? Maybe not.
Your call:

Windows Vista -- prettier in pink, and cheaper?

,----[ Quote ]
| If only Microsoft UK would stack up a few shelves with copies of Vista
| Ultimate at £25 each then it would probably sell a few. Even at £29.99, it
| would be half the RRP of a boxed copy of Xandros Desktop OS Professional
| (Linux).
`----

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/03/31/windows_vista_prettier_in_pink_and_cheaper.html

GNU/Linux has reportedly gained _another_ 0.5% market share in large
enterprises in just one year, says a survey, And Linux was only measured in
places that are typically classical Windows shops in the country most
opposed/allergic to Linux. Probably yet another good sign of growth in the
_least expected places_.

Related and recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----