[News] Amazon's Linux-based Clouds Claimed Highly Promising

Amazon keeps getting the Cloud right while everyone else snoozes

,----[ Quote ]
| The cloud has become one of the most interesting market dynamics since open
| source.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9922719-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Amazon uses GNU/Linux.

Related:

Red Hat, Amazon deliver Linux on demand

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat made its Enterprise Linux OS available on demand Wednesday by
| releasing it for the Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) service that hosts
| business applications. The move is part of Red Hat's so-called "automation"
| strategy, which aims to deliver a Linux and open-source infrastructure for
| simplifying how applications run and are managed.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071107/tc_infoworld/93257

(Amazon's Open Source Strategy)
LIVE BLOG: MIT Emerging Tech (Morning)

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Amazon.com has launched several services
| that allow small companies to leverage the powerful
| tools of a big company such as Amazon.com. For instance,
| Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), creates a virtual
| Web-based Linux server that a small company can rent
| at 10 cents per CPU hour...  Bezos also described a
| fulfillment center service that the company offers,
| wherein a company can request both warehouse space
| and order fulfillment services for their own products.
| Amazon is literally offering distribution to their
| competitors!
|
| It is, in short, open source business strategy.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4198966.html

Firefox Extension for Amazon EC2 - an EC2 for the rest of us?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a Web-based service that
| allows business subscribers to run application programs in the Amazon.com
| computing environment. The EC2 can serve as a practically unlimited set of
| virtual machines.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=397

Is Red Hat's New Development Environment Destined for an Amazon or IBM Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| So who will be the one to move their tools environment to the Amazon cloud
| first? Perhaps Amazon will offer several tools options, such as one for web
| apps and mashups, and another (or two) for Java development? You know you
| want to, Jeff.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56865-is-red-hat-s-new-development-environment-destined-for-an-amazon-or-ibm-cloud?source=yahoo

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
| (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
| systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

Amazon.com Launches Wireless Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based device weighs 10.3 ounces, can store 200 titles on its 250 MB
| of onboard flash memory, and its battery can hold a charge for two days with
| the wireless feature on and seven days with it off, Amazon said. The reader
| is made by a Chinese OEM and can be purchased on Amazon.com for $399.
`----

http://sony.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=237306

Kindle sold out

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no telling if this is a consequence of consumer demand exceeding
| Amazon's forecasts as to how many people would want this thing, or if Amazon
| is taking a page out of Nintendo's book and creating a little product
| scarcity to drum up business. All I know is I got mine in the mail today, and
| I'm already in love.
|
| Flop? I think not.
`----

http://blog.blankbaby.com/blankbaby/2007/11/kindle-sold-out.html

Open Source Communications and SIP Come to Amazon.com

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have any doubt about the future of open source
| communications, consider it shattered: Amazon.com will soon be
| deploying 5,000 phones connected to the Pingtel ECS platform
| running on Linux.
|
| The question is why would Amazon switch out their existing PBX, and
| the answer is that the leading e-commerce site already runs about
| 20,000 Red Hat Linux servers?so they are what you might call "comfortable"
| with Linux to begin with. This install will add three more Linux
| servers to the mix.
`----

http://voipforenterprise.tmcnet.com/feature/service-solutions/articles/3008-open-source-communications-sip-come-amazoncom.htm
http://tinyurl.com/f3mnx

rPath Provides On-Ramp to Amazon Grid Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Significantly, rPath does not use Red Hat Linux for its
| virtualization onramp. "Red Hat Linux is monolithic. One size
| fits all," said Marshall. Instead, rPath lets customers (who are
| ISVs and therefore presumably know a thing or two about how
| their products use OS features) pick and choose the pieces
| that are embedded into their offerings.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=0DCA943B-1853-4C79-B98E-7C683A0CE8C5

ElasticDrive Beta 0.1.6 - Amazon S3 FileSystem

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=396