[News] AGPLv3 Adoption Up Over 20%

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 04/18

,----[ Quote ]
| Now onto our recently added license the AGPL v3. Last week our database
| contained 55 AGPL v3 projects. This week we are at 68 AGPL v3 projects, which
| is an increase of just over 20%. This is a significant increase percentage
| wise, even though it is only a 13 project increase. However, our prediction
| is that the adoption rate will rise in number and decrease in percentage as
| the current amount in the database grows.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/04/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-0418.html

Recent:

AGPL v3 to be added to Palamida Watch List

,----[ Quote ]
| Palamida is tracking adoption of GPL v3 on a special blog. The last post
| mentioned an incredible rate of adoption for it. There are already more than
| 2,000 projects using the license (or a variation of it, like LGPL v3), with a
| good chance to reach 5,000 by the end of the year. I feel we are about to
| reach the tipping point, when everyone will move from GPL v2 to v3.
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/2008/04/agpl-v3-to-be-added-in-palamida-watch.html

Google pays for Affero ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The projects will join around 10 other AGPL-licensed efforts on SourceForge,
| compared to six on Google Code. Before the defections, Google had been
| discouraging other AGPL projects, saying Google Code does not support AGPL.
|
| The dispute between Google and developers who want to use AGPL - a version of
| GPLv3 tailored for use in software as a service - has rumbled on since last
| November, when AGPL was finalized.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/11/google_bans_aero/

Google Apps: Too cheap to ignore?

| We may be getting to the point where Google's "cloud" allows them to
| provision users so much cheaper than any given enterprise can that it will
| become the provider of choice.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9917030-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Google blocking AGPL in Google Code

,----[ Quote ]
| So, first AGPL was not good enough for Google because it was not
| OSI-approved. That limited its popularity... Now it is OSI-approved. Still,
| it is not popular enough to be accepted in the Google closed open source
| hosting site?
|
| And, by the way, why should people put their open source code in the hands of
| someone who likes open source only when it does good to its business (ehm,
| that could include me, but we are not talking about me, are we ;-) ?
|
| C'mon Chris, give developers the ability of using AGPL for their own projects
| in Google Code. Your fight for no proliferation of licenses is something I
| subscribe to, but AGPL is the license of the future, no matter if Google
| likes it or not. And I can guarantee you it will become even more popular if
| it is accepted in Google Code...
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/2008/03/google-blocking-agpl-in-google-code.html

GPL author: Google must share code

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies like Google that build their business on software such as
| Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free
| software community, a prominent open source advocate said Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/052307-gpl-author-google-must-share.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2x5dvf

Funambol Helps New AGPLv3 Open Source License Gain Formal OSI Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| March 13, 2008 - Funambol, the leading provider of Mobile 2.0 messaging
| software powered by open source, today announced that the AGPLv3 has received
| formal approval by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). Funambol led the process
| of the license's approval by the OSI after adopting AGPLv3 in November. It
| was the first company to adopt the license, which closes the "ASP loophole".
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10466.html

Census started for enterprise open source use

,----[ Quote ]
| Intended as a pluggable architecture for organizations to provide their own
| fingerprint rules and identify open source packages, OSS Discovery is
| licensed under the new Affero GPLv3 (AGPLv3) for open source SaaS.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/12/census-started-for-enterprise-open-source-use/

Funambol Is First Major Commercial OpenSource Company To Support AGPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,230442.shtml