[News] [Rival] Expert Says Microsoft Must Fight Windows Malware; PayPal Death by Zombie Spewage?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Expert Says Microsoft Must Fight Windows Malware; PayPal Death by Zombie Spewage?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:49:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft has duty to fight malware says expert

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is Microsoft not doing this? Marketing, Abrams said, and tech support
| costs too.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10763

PayPal Plans to Ban Unsafe Browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| PayPal says allowing customers to make financial transactions on unsafe
| browsers "is equal to a car manufacturer allowing drivers to buy one of their
| vehicles without seat belts."
|
| PayPal, one of the brands most spoofed in phishing attacks, is working on a
| plan to block its users from making transactions from Web browsers that don't
| provide anti-phishing protection.
|
| The eBay-owned company, which runs a Web-based payment system that allows the
| transfer of funds between bank accounts and credit cards, said browsers that
| do not have support for blocking identity theft-related Web sites or for EV
| SSL (Extended Validation Secure Sockets Layer) certificates are
| considered "unsafe" for financial transactions.
|
| "In our view, letting users view the PayPal site on one of these browsers is
| equal to a car manufacturer allowing drivers to buy one of their vehicles
| without seat belts," said PayPal Chief Information Security Officer Michael
| Barrett.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=47667&pop=1&hide_ads=1&page=0&hide_js=1

With 320,000,000 Windows zombies spewing tens of billions of SPAM per day
(including phishing attempts), what's to stop phishing, which relies on brute
force?

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Botnets Running Rampant