[News] The New Era of the Old, Vista-incapable, GNU/Linux PCs

Sagging economy slams Q1 U.S. PC sales

,----[ Quote ]
| PC shipments in the U.S. took a sharp hit in the first quarter of 2008
| because of a sluggish economy, and some analysts don't see it getting a whole
| lot better this year.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=laptops&articleId=9078558&taxonomyId=66&intsrc=kc_top

Excellent! Less Windows-capable PCs out there (XP no longer sold).

Microsoft extends XP life to parry Linux threat

,----[ Quote ]
| In what is being perceived as a move to counter the threat of Linux — a free
| operating system — in the ultra-low-cost personal computer (ULCPC) segment,
| Microsoft has extended the sale of Windows XP Home by two years to original
| equipment manufacturers (OEMs) beyond the current deadline of June 30.
`----

http://business-standard.com/common/storypage_c.php?leftnm=10&autono=320409

Windows XP is rusty and botmaster-friendly (40% of the Windows PCs out there
are zombies). How long can XP compete with KDE 5.0, GNOME 3+, Compiz Fusion
2.0, computing clouds, etc.? People would stick with and move to GNU/Linux.
Buying PCs for software upgrades is a thing of the past (see article at the
top), so Macs are out of the question unless you're a wealthy westerner -- the
Apple niche market.

Newsflash: Grannies Need Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Chances are, Granny's computer hardware is fine. Since Linux will run on
| anything from a toaster oven to a space station -- unless there's actual
| physical damage, the upgrade to Linux should cost nothing but some of your
| time. (And maybe some of Granny's cookies.)
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/newsflash-grannies-need-linux

Last week:

Why I can't get a new laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| It's all Linux's fault.
|
| [...]
|
| So, because of Linux, I don't need a new laptop and I'm not letting myself
| get one. I didn't install Ubuntu for that reason; I did it because I was
| switching over to Linux completely, on principle, rather than buy into Vista
| in all its unscrupulous, bug-ridden glory. Saving money on upgrades is an
| unexpected side effect. And I have to say it's not altogether welcome. It's
| good for me to be more frugal, but damn, it's frustrating to keep my wallet
| in my pocket when these shiny new toys are so tempting.
`----

http://www.dwasifar.com/2008/04/why-i-cant-get-new-laptop.html

Old laptop and Mepis 7.0: very nice indeed :)

,----[ Quote ]
| This is my note for Mepis 7.0 installed on my old-linux-friendly laptop :)
| (it's Toshiba Tecra 8200 PIII, more here).
`----

http://seputarlinux.blogspot.com/2008/04/old-laptop-and-mepis-70-very-nice.html

Recent:

Life after cyber-death

,----[ Quote ]
| But thanks to improvements in desktop versions of Linux, we can now do
| something better.
|
| Apart from being able to run easily on clunky old machines, the great thing
| about Linux is the way thousands of the world’s most professional programmers
| have volunteered their spare time to improving the breed—with nothing to gain
| save personal satisfaction and the respect of their peers. Thanks to their
| efforts, there’s recently been a flood of slick desktop versions of the
| rugged open-source operating system.
`----

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10500554

Supporting The Latest and Greatest; Supporting the Oldest and Slowest

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/01/supporting_the_latest_and_grea.html