Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
<nospam@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:23 -0400
<ycSNj.50667$vr3.870@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> Of course not; they can no longer afford such luxuries.
>> But the computer now runs absolutely gorgeous Vista software!
>
> Vista costs less than $100.00.
>
> Why are you so broke, Ghost?

Vista doesn't provide such things as:

- integrated GUI development.  Certain elements of Visual
  Studio.NET might be downloadable, though.

- program compilation.  I think C#.NET is downloadable
  and installable, though.  C# is of course one of
  Microsoft's best innovations, combining warmed-over
  Java with peculiar Microsoft C++-like innovations like
  autotranslation of assignment statements to virtualizable
  procedure calls.

- program verification tools such as lint.

- Java.  Sun provides it free of charge, of course.

- remote desktop login through either ssh, vnc, or both.

- Bitlocker encryption unless I buy Ultimate or
  Enterprise...and I'm not sure about Enterprise.

- source code.

- a webserver that runs on my desktop for testing purposes.
  Of course I can run Apache but that's not even closer
  to kosher, as any serious website developer will want
  to use Internet Information Services version 6, which
  integrates well with the absolutely bog-standard (OK,
  half of that anyway) Internet Explorer 7.

- Web brwoser SVG capability out of the box.  Oh, wait, I
  need to be using Silverlight instead anyway.  Silly me.

- simple automation, though with Powershell (oh, that
  costs extra, and I am not sure it's available yet)
  one might have some interesting capabilities.

- freedom.  That definitely costs extra.

Microsoft.  Where did you want to be dragged to today?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because vaporware only goes so far.