Re: [News] More Patent Lawsuits, Novell(Microsoft) Defends Patents

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:44:41 -0700
<reply_in_group-A49B60.17444116042008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > And of course it's not a Linux problem.
>>
>> This is indeed a Linux driver problem.  Presumably someone
>> is going to have to look into it and ascertain precisely why
>> Seagate external units disconnect from the main computer.
>
> I'd hold back on that conclusion until more information is available.
> In particular, do other drives work fine on that system?

Do other OSes work fine on that system as well?

> I had the same symptoms.  I tried other brand drives, and even thumb
> drives, and the problem persisted.  That's because it wasn't the drives,
> or the drivers.  The USB ports on my motherboard went flaky.  So I
> tossed in a cheap ($10 or so) USB card, moved my drives over to that,
> and everything has lived happily ever after.

So in your case it's a hardware problem.  Interesting,
and logical enough.  Of course the OP didn't make that
very clear in his post.

Of course one would hope for a printk() at least when
the USB flakes out, in the Linux case.  Ideally, it would
then try to reconnect, though with flaky power good luck
on that.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable