Re: [News] Sharp Rise for GNU/Linux on the Desktop, Vendor Support Follows

> ____/ Robin T Cox on Friday 04 April 2008 09:25 : \____
>
>> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:52:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Linux desktop market share is up as much as 61 percent, study finds
>>
>> One of the follow-up posters to this article made an excellent point:
>>
>> <quote>
>> I suspect that free software will ultimately be the real driving force
>> towards Linux - when you are buying a $200 ultra-mobile PC for surfing
>> and a bit of document access it is just crazy to spend hundreds of
>> dollars on software suites from Microsoft, Adobe and others. If your
>> system comes preloaded with everything you need who cares what the OS is?
>> </quote>
>
> In other words, some things become a commodity. Services and maintenance never
> are a commodity (time is not free because you can't replicate it) and they are
> worth a lot more than typical  acquisitions. Think about buying a PC for 500
> quid and then spending 5,000 hours on it.
>
> That said, it's clear that Linux is far easier to maintain and fewer services
> are needed, unless of course you assume that calling in a next-door neighbour
> to clean up some malware is a 'free' service.

My kids, myself, and grandparents, all have no problems using Linux.  We
do not have any Windows machines other than for work (legacy?), the
serious stuff is all linux with a few macs.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |