[News] [SOT] Intellectual Monopolies Hunt for Profit, Make 4G a Patent Mess

Does Seagate own the patents to the flash hard drive?

,----[ Quote ]
| STEC is a small player. If it wins, other industry players will applaud its
| pluck. If it loses, other manufacturers of flash drives like Intel, Toshiba,
| and SanDisk might decide to line up dutifully to pay Seagate royalties. And
| since there may not be a pre-existing lawsuit, there won't be as much bad
| blood.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9920771-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Terms and conditions apply: patent deal agreed for LTE

,----[ Quote ]
| The big radio network technology players seem to have banged each others'
| heads together in a pre-emptive strike against intellectual property
| squabbles over LTE (long term evolution, the favoured technology for 4G).
|
| Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, NEC, NextWave Wireless, Nokia, Nokia Siemens
| Networks and Sony Ericsson (not Qualcomm, although it has committed to
| producing LTE chips) say they’re going to spare us  the usual courtroom
| dramas and agree a solid licencing regime for LTE  before they start
| producing kit.
`----

http://web20.telecomtv.com/pages/?newsid=42983&id=e9381817-0593-417a-8639-c4c53e2a2a10

Related:

Seagate: Vista OS requires 250GB to 1TB of storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Seagate exec: To fully leverage Vista, you need 250GB to 1TB of storage
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9038438

Seagate releases workaround for Linux users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/11/seagate-issues-workaround-linux