[News] Video (Ogg) Interview with Father of the 10-Year Old Open Source Definition

  • Subject: [News] Video (Ogg) Interview with Father of the 10-Year Old Open Source Definition
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:58:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Bruce Perens tells how he got involved with Linux and Free Software (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| You've probably seen quotes from long-time Linux and Free Software advocate
| Bruce Perens, and you may have even have seen his picture a few times. Now,
| in this exclusive Linux.com video, you have a chance to "meet" him in a
| little more personal way, and to learn how Bruce got interested in Linux and
| FOSS -- and why he stays both interested and involved.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/131346

Just 10 Years of Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Abhijit Nadgouda says it's been a decade since the term open source was
| chosen to represent the concept.  This is true, but the concept has been
| around far longer.  I remember reading through freely available source code
| to BBS systems back in the mid-late 80's to discover their secrets.  Long
| before that, software was freely given away with source code by hobbyists.
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2008/04/just-10-years-of-open-source/

Recent:

Software giants crowding roundtable at ISO

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2008/04/09/491/

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, running for the OSI board is going to be painful. Some oppose
| my action against vendor excesses like the Novell-Microsoft agreement. And
| there's bad blood from the past - some of it my fault. I'm sure this campaign
| will inspire ad-hominem material about me on the net, etc. That's another
| reason that I'll need your support.
`----

http://techp.org/p/7

Perens: 'Badgeware' threat to open source's next decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Perens said the growth in licenses, especially the emergence of "badgeware",
| or attribution licenses used by numerous open source companies, such as last
| year's Common Public Attribution License (CPAL), is dangerous. Today, we have
| 68 licenses ranging from the well-known GNU General Public License(GPL) to
| the, well... the OCLC Research Public License 2.0 recognized by the OSI.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/11/open_source_at_ten/

Why Microsoft Must Control One Laptop Per Child

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a threat Microsoft can't let stand: the entire third world learning
| Linux as children, and growing up to use it. And Microsoft is going to get
| its way.
|
| It comes after a sudden wave of SCO-like problems for the OLPC project. A
| specious patent lawsuit over keyboards. Board-member Intel thrown out of the
| project for attempting to convince national governments to drop OLPC
| purchases and go with its own (Windows) product. First, OLPC is shown what
| its problems will be if it doesn't cooperate with Microsoft. Then, Microsoft
| approaches with money and technical help - you just have to run Windows to
| get it.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately, I don't believe that Microsoft's intent toward the OLPC
| project is at all benign. They will promote their OLPC software load for
| DRM-locked content with the help of proprietary publishers who are threatened
| enough by open content to throw some zero cost but DRM locked e-books to the
| third world. If they can get governments to commit to the DRM-locked content
| on your platform, a non-Microsoft OS is going to be out of the race.
|
| Also, nobody who wants an open platform for the third world is
| being "religious" about it, promoting sound public policy is not religion.
| I'm really tired of hearing that old saw brought up, please stop it.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/1/10/33518

Perens urges firms to go open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Many companies could successfully partake in open source projects without
| adversely affecting their business, according to open source activist Bruce
| Perens.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2203142/companies-should-share-software

Related:

Perens urges firms to go open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Many companies could successfully partake in open source projects without
| adversely affecting their business, according to open source activist Bruce
| Perens.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2203142/companies-should-share-software

Novell Apologies Debunked, 2700 People Sign Protest Letter

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, the Free Software community feels very strongly about
| this issue. But Free Software is not the only party represented.
| Many of the signers identify themselves as recent Novell VARs
| and institutional customers who will now turn to another Linux
| distribution.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2006/12/6/11832

Perens to rain on Novell's parade

,----[ Quote ]
|  The topics will be
|
|     * The Microsoft-Novell agreement
|     * GPL version 3 and how it will impede Novell from making use of new
|       innovation by the Free Software community
|     * Software patents vs. Free Software.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/3/12/15975

Allegorical version of the Novell-Microsoft Patent Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| Once upon a time there was a software company called Novell. Novell had a
| friend "Big Mike" who was always getting in trouble with the law, but he
| was strong and had a big business.
|
| [...]
|
| The volunteers didn't like any of this. They made sure that Novell
| couldn't use any of their new work, but they shared it with all of
| Novell's competitors. The volunteers stuck Novell with the full cost
| of maintaining all of their old work without their help, for as long
| as Novell had to support its own customers. The volunteers were also
| business owners, developers, VARs, and IT managers, and they never
| recommended Novell for anything again.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2006/11/28/11485

Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| Efforts to hurt us from inside are the most dangerous. I think we'll
| also see more attempts to dilute the definition of Open Source to
| include partially-free products, as we saw with the /Qt/ library in
| KDE before Troll Tech saw the light and released an Open Source
| license. Microsoft and others could hurt us by releasing a lot of
| software that's just free enough to attract users without having the
| full freedoms of Open Source. It's conceivable that they could kill
| off development of some categories of Open Source software by releasing
| a "good enough," "almost-free-enough" solution. However, the strong
| reaction against the KDE project before the /Qt/ library went fully
| Open Source bodes poorly for similar efforts by MS and its ilk.
`----

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/perens.html

Protest the Microsoft-Novell Patent Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, now that Novell has chosen not to hang together with the
| Free Software community, we've chosen not to do so with you.
`----

http://techp.org/petition/show/1

Perens blasts Microsoft/Novell "protection racket"

,----[ Quote ]
| Salt Lake City -- In a small conference room across the street from
| the location of Novell's BrainShare conference, free-software
| advocate Bruce Perens attacked Novell's patent deal with Microsoft
| and said that Novell was enabling Microsoft to run "a protection
| racket" with the threat of its patents.
|
| [...]
|
| More than that, though, Perens said, if the Novell-Microsoft patent deal is
| allowed to stand. It would take only as few as "two or three intellectual
| property law-suits" of open-source developers or small business at a cost
| of at least $5 million dollars a pop, to destroy open-source development.
| So, from where he sits, Novell is running a "protection racket" with "Big
| Mikey" as the enforcer

Norway opens Free Software Center

,----[ Quote ]
| Norway opened a national center for competence in Free Software in Drammen,
| near Oslo, on Wednesday. Here's the center's web page in Norwegian.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/17/25148

http://techp.org/p/4

Is Microsoft/Novell SCO All Over Again?

,----[ Quote ]
| Several days after Novell's Brainshare conference, Scott talked to
| Bruce Perens about the reaction to his news conference criticizing
| Novell's financial and development agreements with Microsoft. In
| this conversation, Scott challenges an earlier Perens statement
| that the agreement amounts to "SCO all over again."
`----

http://osc.gigavox.com/shows/detail1767.html

Perens Lashes Out at Claims GPL 3 Brings Legal Risks

,----[ Quote ]
| "Let's make it clear that [ACT] is Microsoft's lobbying front andt
| hat they are going to paint as negative a picture as they can,"
| Perens told eWEEK in an interview.
|
| "Obviously, GPL software is displacing Microsoft enough to have
| them concerned, and it's doing it at customers who are important
| to them. A lawyer's job is to scare the other side if they can--because
| they know it's cheaper than winning a case in court," he said.

Jobs unlikely to push for lift of video DRM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1651457572&rid=-50