[News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

Linux for Grandma - Part III, Finale

,----[ Quote ]
| For limited use, like browser based applications only, there is no reason not
| to use Linux.  In fact, most people in her case wouldn't know the difference.
| The three main reasons to use Linux are that it works, it is free, and runs
| on low end hardware fairly well.  Nor did I need the overhead of anti-virus
| and anti-spyware software.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/16/39631

He did an experiment and it was a success.

Related:

Desktop Adapted for Dad

,----[ Quote ]
| I set my father's computer up with a GNU/Linux operating system. One
| basic feature of Linux is that each user has their own login to the
| system, and normally you do not login to the system as the super-user.
| This limits what my father is able to do on the system as he is not the
| super-user. To my surprise my father was delighted that he was restricted
| in that way, because then he knows that he cannot break the system by
| accident.
|
| To conclude I would say that my experience with my father and other
| inexperienced computer users convinces me that the modern desktop software
| is not obvious but that with basic training it is very easy to use. I
| firmly believe that anyone can use a computer, but it is essential that
| users have a properly configured desktop suitable for their use, as one
| size does not fit all.

7 Reasons you should switch Grandma to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://forevergeek.com/linux/7_reasons_you_should_switch_grandma_to_linux.php