Re: [News] More Mandriva 2008.1 Reviews and Impressions, Fluendo Integrated

  • Subject: Re: [News] More Mandriva 2008.1 Reviews and Impressions, Fluendo Integrated
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:18:24 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:ldl/rSOxIjw4pUCl7OcKSXw7+LI=
  • Desktop: KDE 3.5.9
  • News-server: leafnode 1.11.6
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:49:57 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Testing, one two three...
>
> [big snip]
>
> I just finished installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my mother-in-law's laptop,
> and my first impressions are what I've come to expect from Mandriva/Linux:
> a quick, totally uneventful install, after which almost everything works
> flawlessly -- almost, because the only thing (still) not working is the
> built-in SD card reader; then again, we're talking about a fully
> proprietary, undocumented and unsupported Toshiba chip, so Linux isn't to
> blame here.
>
> everything else worked perfectly fine right away, without so much as a
> hiccup. And to my delight, I found that with version 2008.1, package
> management has reached an unprecedented level of userfriendliness: no
> longer one has to manually enter every single software repository, or
> copy/paste urpmi commands in a terminal window. Simply go to
> eayurpmi.zarb.org, click the media collections, and enter your root
> password to have them installed. After this, installing any available
> package is a matter of a few mouse clicks and entering a root password.
>
> Also, the choice in preinstalled software is somewhat sanitized: there's
> still a broad choice in applications, but it seems that lots of rarely
> used have been culled from the default install. Another nice clean-up is
> the lack of NFS stuff in the services department; 99% of desktop users
> won't be using NFS -- and those who want it, can still install it with a
> few mouse clicks.
>
> Just one minus point: the missing software update notification. Starting
> with Mandriva 2007, there was this nice systray icon signaling the
> availability of updated software -- a feature I grew quite fond of. Now
> it's missing, and it seems I (or rather my mother-in-law) will have to
> revert to performing manual update checks and installations. But for all
> the rest, it seems like another evolutionary step in the direction of an
> ever more stable, userfriendly Linux desktop system.
>
> Richard Rasker

No, it's not missing. It runs in the background & the icon only appears
in the systray to inform you when there are updates. Or at least it does
on the versions I have. (Mandriva One 2008.1, Mandriva Free 2008.1 64-bit)

--
Googlegroups: Because of the extreme spam emanating from googlegroups,
I (like many others) no longer see any articles originating from