Re: how open source has influenced Windows Server 2008 ..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Monday 14 April 2008 18:40 : \____

> * Modular architectures .. Great examples of this are Firefox,
> OpenOffice, and X11 .. The Apache HTTP server and APR  ..
>
> * Programming language agnostic .. the diversity of PHP/Perl/Python/
> Java has been a core driver in the success of a number of projects
> including Linux.
>
> * Feedback-driven development .. The "power user" .. this class of
> users includes developers who are not committing code back, but
> instead submitting CRs and defects - resulting in a product that
> better fits its end users.
>
> * Built-for-purpose systems .. the ability to build a system that has
> just what is needed to fulfill its role and nothing else  ..
>
> * Sysadmins who write code..  The ability of a skilled system
> administrator to write the "last mile" code  ..
>
> * Standards-based communication .. where these are used projects are
> more successful (think of Asterisk and IAX2) and attract a larger
> ecosystem of software around them.
>
> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2008/02/27/opening-windows-server-2008.aspx

Translation: "we view Linux as just a command-line-based system and if we can
mimic this and put a $2000 price tag on it then you can forget about all the
freedom, the stability, etc."

This is just a way to convince the clueless MBA (boss) to buy a Windows server
and tell his *NUX admins that the pamphlet says it can do everything Linux
can.

BTW, Server 2008 is just a 'distro' based on Vista. It's the same rubbish with
all the same problems. Remember Home Data Corruption Server? Word on the
street is which the patch that fixes this will be available no sooner than
June but they still sell these defective units, despite a known bug (since
December).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
Mem:    515500k total,   445292k used,    70208k free,     2960k buffers