[News] Dell PCs Work Better with Latest Linuxes

Overview of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on the Dell 1501

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall:
| Hardy Heron is the Ubuntu release that Dell Inspiron 1501 owners have been
| waiting for. Everything works, you only need to install 3 drivers (ATI,
| wireless and modem). If you were hesitant about trying Ubuntu on your 1501,
| rest assured, it takes minimal skill and computer knowledge to setup.
`----

http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/overview-of-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-on.html

Finding a Linux-powered laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve always had good luck mating ThinkPads with Ubuntu. But if you have
| another laptop and want to use another distro, then you can find out more at
| Linux on Laptops or TuxMobil. And you can check to see whether your hardware
| is supported by Linux at the Hardware Compatibility List and the
| Compatibility Database.
`----

http://scottnesbitt.net/ubuntublog/?p=151

Apple bites Microsoft from the other hand too...

Apple's OS Edge Is a Threat to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent upgrade to the Mac operating system moves Apple closer to
| challenging Microsoft for overall computing dominance, even in the corporate
| market
`----

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2000459/posts

Related and recent:

Linux faithful see ray of light shining on client OS

,----[ Quote ]
| “There is a huge market of people who can start out with Linux [and you don’t
| have to try] to get them to switch from Windows,” says John Hull, manager of
| the Linux engineering team at Dell. “And a lot of the opportunity is going to
| be in developing markets.”
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/041008-linux.html

Report: Dell to release a low-cost minilaptop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9915094-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20