[News] OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP As Windows->Linux 'Back Doors'

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP As Windows->Linux 'Back Doors'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:16:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux or open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s now quite easy to run a Windows box in which the only proprietary
| program you have is Windows. Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, The Gimp, and
| Google together make for a pretty nice office suite.
|
| So the release of a Windows Installer for Ubuntu LTS 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is
| more than “very cool.” It’s a turning point.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2276

Maturity continues...

First Look: The GIMP 2.5.0

| The GIMP team announced today the first release from the 2.5 development
| series. It is true that this version is unstable, but a little bird told me
| to give it a try and see what's it capable of. First of all, let me tell you
| that its interface is quite redesigned and I think that some users will have
| problems adjusting with it, but that's just my two cents. On the other hand,
| version 2.5.0 of The GIMP includes some hot new features, like the
| integration of GEGL (Generic Graphics Library) which will finally get support
| for higher color depths, more colorspaces and eventually non-destructive
| editing.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-The-GIMP-2-5-0-83090.shtml

Related:

Take Ubuntu for a non-invasive test drive with Wubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows only: Wubi is a Windows-based Ubuntu Linux installer that
| lets you run the OS on your Windows XP box--no partitions,
| bootloaders or Live CDs required.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/take-ubuntu-for-a-non+invasive-test-drive-with-wubi-258936.php
http://tinyurl.com/294xxd

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is-easier-than-windows

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

Wubi [Review]