Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 12 April 2008 20:21 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Homer on Saturday :
>>
>>> "We don't do a new version to fix bugs. We don't. Not enough
>>> people would buy it." ~ Gates
>>>
>>> http://www.cantrip.org/nobugs.html
>>
>> Good find! Handy.
>
> Yes, a very interesting read.  I found this bit of interest:
>
> [quote]
> FOCUS:  But on the other hand - you would say: Okay, folks, if
> you don't like these new features, stay with the old version, and
> keep the bugs?
>
> Gates:  No! We have lots and lots of competitors. The new version
> - it's not there to fix bugs. That's not the reason we come up
> with a new version.
>
> FOCUS:  But there are bugs an any version which people would
> really like to have fixed.
>
> Gates:  No! There are no significant bugs in our released
> software that any significant number of users want fixed.
>
> FOCUS:  Oh, my God. I always get mad at my computer if MS Word
> swallows the page numbers of a document which I printed a couple
> of times with page numbers. If I complain to anybody they say
> "Well, upgrade from version 5.11 to 6.0".
>
> Gates:  No! If you really think there's a bug you should report a
> bug. Maybe you're not using it properly. Have you ever considered
> that?
>
> FOCUS:  Yeah, I did...
>
> Gates:  It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software
> properly, so you should look into that. -- The reason we come up
> with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's absolutely not. It's
> the stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever heard. When we
> do a new version we put in lots of new things that people are
> asking for. And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to
> a new version. It's never a reason.
> [/quote]
>
> So then, the user who complains of bugs is considered a Luddite
> who doesn't know how to use the software properly?  Interesting ....
>
> Also the reason for not upgrading is stability?  Well,
> irregardless of what the corporate magnate said, there ARE those
> who prefer stability to the myriads of viruses, root kits,
> spywares, etc. that can steal credit card numbers, personal
> information, financial and medical records to name a few.
>
> Yes, this was an interesting find.

If you look at kernel development (Linux) you would soon realise why you tend
to forget that Linux even exists on your PC (it does its job transparently)
while Windows gives headaches like the need to defrag, detect abnormalities,
tolerating blue screens of death, etc. And that's just the core of your
operating environment.

Microsoft is motivates by money and it has little or no desire to improve
quality. It needs more competition (and therefore less revenue, which it burns
up anyway).

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, sit on your hands all day