[News] End of Intellectual Monopolies Pondered

What if Microsoft, Google, Corel and others had their patents voided?

,----[ Quote ]
| The case in question concerns a patent submission for “managing the
| consumption risk costs of a commodity”, whatever that means.  The patent
| office refused to consider such an abstract idea as patentable.  However,
| many of the patents that are owned by such behemoths as Microsoft and Google
| could conceivably be argued, are based on abstract ideas.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/04/11/what-if-microsoft-google-corel-and-others-had-their-patents-voided/

IBM hopes to patent 'dealing with chaos'

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/10/ibm_chaos_patent/

,----[ Quote ]
| "Working behind the scenes to orchestrate "independent" praise of our
| technology, and damnation of the enemy's, is a key evangelism function during
| the Slog. "Independent" analyst's report should be issued, praising your
| technology and damning the competitors (or ignoring them). "Independent"
| consultants should write columns and articles, give conference presentations
| and moderate stacked panels, all on our behalf (and setting them up as
| experts in the new technology, available for just $200/hour). "Independent"
| academic sources should be cultivated and quoted (and research money
| granted). "Independent" courseware providers should start profiting from
| their early involvement in our technology. Every possible source of leverage
| should be sought and turned to our advantage."
`----

                        --- Microsoft, internal document
                        http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

Related:

Against Intellectual Monopoly

,----[ Quote ]
| Many – including myself - believe that a better description of copyright and
| patents is to call them “intellectual monopolies”, since they are just that:
| state-granted monopolies that give the power to exclude others from using
| certain kinds of ideas.
|
| Once you move away from the loaded “intellectual property”, you can examine
| objectively whether such intellectual monopolies are, in fact, beneficial for
| society – both in terms of those holding them, and those who must operate
| with them.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=427&blogid=14

Tech Fusion Outline: Organising the World's Knowledge.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/964.html