[News] [Rival] All Existing Versions of Windows Vulnerable

Hackers Attack Newest Windows Patch

,----[ Quote ]
| Ironically, the only version of Windows not vulnerable to attack is XP
| Service Pack 3 (SP3), the still-not-released final update to the aged
| operating system. Hidden in the MS08-021 security bulletin was the
| sentence: "Windows XP Service Pack 3 is not affected by this vulnerability."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144486/hackers_attack_newest_windows_patch.html

Espionage Against Pro-Tibet Groups, Others, Spurred Microsoft Patches

,----[ Quote ]
| These attacks, which appeared to have originated in China, began in early
| 2006 when the attackers started sending e-mails to victims with booby-trapped
| Word documents and Excel spreadsheets attached.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/04/chinese_hackers

Why hasn't microsoft secured windows xp and windows vista yet?

,----[ Quote ]
| It is been years now and windows xp passwords can still be cracked and I
| thought microsoft would have stopped windows xp and vista passwords from
| being cracked but there are alot of password cracking tools out there that
| can crack windows xp and windows vista passwords in minutes.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/richgamer/4873

Recent:

With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The MacBook Air went first; a tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista was hacked on
| the last day of the contest; but it was Linux, running on a Sony Vaio, that
| remained undefeated as conference organizers ended a three-way computer
| hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032908-with-vista-breached-linux-unbeaten.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Question about recent CanSecWest pwn to own

,----[ Quote ]
| In one of the articles (sorry, reference forgotten) on this whole contest,
| there was some discussion that on Windows, Flash installs a "helper" that
| runs with admin privileges.  Apparently on Windows as a mere user, Flash
| doesn't have the capabilities it needs to do everything it does, so it
| requests such assistance from the "helper."
|
| [...]
|
| At least on Linux, this exploit does not directly lead to root privileges,
| which is what I believe the contest was all about.  None of the reporting or
| followup were clear on that, instead leaving the now-common "security through
| unpopularity" argument for Linux as the prime reason for Ubuntu winning the
| contest.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/10/39219

Bots rule in cyberspace