[News] Why Ogg and Not MP3 Format

Ogg Vorbis > Mp3

,----[ Quote ]
| You will all be highly familiar with the format Mp3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3),
| as it is somewhat common in the world of digital music. You would think a
| widely used, compressed audio format would offer great benefits. Not entirely
| true, unfortunately, Mp3 is riddled with patents causing headaches for music
| distributors and also software developers alike.
`----

http://www.stevey.eu/2008/ogg-vorbis-mp3/

Recent:

Worlds first high performance Dirac video codec implementation available

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to collaboration with the Xiph.org foundation there is an official
| mapping for putting Dirac video into the Ogg container format underway, and
| the Schrödinger project also hosts a proposal for mapping Dirac into the
| popular MPEG-TS container format, which is currently being considered for
| certification by the MPEG working group. We expect to see and provide
| mappings for a lot more container formats in due course.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10452.html

Related:

Theora Sea: The-YouTube of OGG Theora

,----[ Quote ]
| Hello everyone. Are you enjoying the new design and main page of SOM? The
| Spanish version of SOM will be available soon.
|
| I would like to take this opportunity to talk about one of the greatest
| things to ever happen to Theora: the Theora Sea website.
`----

http://spreadopenmedia.org/2008/01/30/theora-sea-the-youtube-of-ogg-theora/

Beta version of Open-Source video codec Ogg Theora released

,----[ Quote ]
| The source code of the libtheora 1.0 Beta 1 codec library can be downloaded
| from the developer website.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/96667/from/rss09

How To Live an Open-Source Musical Life With Ogg Vorbis

,----[ Quote ]
| But with the launch of the FSF's web campaign, the time may be ripe
| for Ogg Vorbis to truly shine. According to Chris "Monty" Montgomery,
| creator of Ogg and founder of the Xiph.org Foundation which oversees
| Ogg's development, such big-name backing has been a long time
| coming.
|
| ... Linux users most likely have Ogg support built in to their machines
| (but you guys already knew that).
`----

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/05/playogg

'Play OGG': FSF launches free audio format campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software
| Foundation (FSF) today launched PlayOGG.org, a campaign to encourage
| use of the patent- and license-free standard OGG Vorbis as an
| ethically, legally and technically superior audio alternative to
| the proprietary MP3 format.
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2007-05/msg00001.html

Ogg Vorbis Gaining Industry Support

,----[ Quote ]
| While Ogg Vorbis format has not gained much adoption in music
| sales and portable players, it is not an unsupported format in
| the industry. Toy manufacturers (e.g. speaking dolls), voice
| warning systems, and reactive audio devices exploit Ogg Vorbis
| for its good quality at small bit-rates.
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/06/1931244&from=rss

Improved Ogg Theora coming soon to an Internet near you

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123869