[News] Article Against Intellectual Monopolies; Call for Sharing of Knowledge

Tech Fusion Outline: Organising the World's Knowledge.

,----[ Quote ]
| # Dissolving WIPO - The World Intellectual Property Organisation needs to be
| shut down - or its job transformed into one which *protects* sovereign
| nations from the interference of intellectual "property" hoarding. I consider
| the concept of "Intellectual Property" to be "slavery". even the name says
| so! Intellectual. Property. Intelligence. Owned. Information. Enslaved. It's
| got to stop. We're not a bunch of savages. any more.
|
| # Dissolution of Patents. See above. Also: see the documentary "The
| Corporation". Even the reasons why the Patent system was created is flawed:
| hoarding of information so that the inventor can benefit from it is so
| completely against the grain of an enlightened world that it hardly needs
| mentioning - but there will be people reading this who will genuinely
| believe - just like the Victorians did about their life-long human captives -
| that Slavery is perfectly acceptable because "everyone does it".
|
| # Banning of Articles of Incorporation with "profit" as the main focus. This
| is absolutely essential. There are plenty of alternative Articles of
| Incorporation where profits are made, but not at the expense of world
| resources. Companies House has a boilerplate designed for social clubs.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/964.html

Related:

Fashion Designers Turning To Patents To Protect Their Designs (And Kill The
Industry)

,----[ Quote ]
| After all, here was a highly competitive, extremely profitable, exceptionally
| innovative creative industry -- and it was doing all that without copyright
| protection. It seemed to show quite the opposite of what many in the
| entertainment industry predicted would happen without copyrights.
| Unfortunately, though, the lessons seemed to go in the other direction. The
| fashion industry got jealous of the entertainment industry's ability to crack
| down on innovation with copyrights and pushed Congress to introduce new
| legislation that would add a copyright for fashion design. Recently such laws
| have been getting a big push from politicians who are pandering to the
| fashion industry. Of course, studies have shown that the very reason the
| industry has thrived was because the lack of IP protection. In fact, one bit
| of research showed that adding IP protections to fashion could kill the
| industry.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080327/002456664.shtml

Against Intellectual Monopoly