[News] Interview with Richard Stallman in the New Scientist

Interview: How a hacker became a freedom fighter

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the founding fathers of "free software" and an esteemed elder of the
| hacking community, Richard Stallman has made defending people's freedoms his
| life's work. That usually means supplying hackers with software and attacking
| copyright law. But as he tells Michael Reilly, his advocacy of personal
| freedoms extends to the protection of true democracy and of the human rights
| increasingly being trampled on in the US and elsewhere
|
| Is it true you used to live in your office?
|
| Yes it is. I lived there for half of the 1980s and most of the 1990s.
| What made you do that?
|
| It was convenient and cheap. To walk home to another place when I was sleepy
| was a very bad thing: first of all, if I was sleepy, it might take a couple
| of hours before I could get it together to put on my coat and my shoes and so
| on. And after that, walking home would wake me up, so when I got home I
| wouldn't go to sleep either. It was so much better to just be able to go to
| sleep where I was.
`----

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19826511.900-interview-how-a-hacker-became-a-freedom-fighter.html

"If the operating system is in fact a natural monopoly, then what could be
better than having an operating system that nobody owns?"

                                                      --James Love

Related:

Richard Stallman, Live and Unplugged

,----[ Quote ]