Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

Matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____

>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9077678&intsrc=hm_list
>>>
>>> Also at that link:
>>> (((((
>>> )))))
>>>
>>> It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
>>> of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
>>> stores.
>>>
>>> The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
>>> better cross-platform apps.
>>
>> Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual boot)
>> by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because the
>> Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using people to
>> buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).
>
> Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
> model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
> dual boot, in case I might need Windows.

But why would you need windows?  I personally think this is very broken
thinking, as it merely serves to maintain the proprietary lock-in
associated with the Windows platform in general.

If they were the same price, I'd have the Linux version, myself.  Aside
from anything else, can you afford to buy the anti-virus?  Keep it up to
date? etc. etc.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |