[News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

Apple's Success Brings More Patent Lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| During the first four months of 2008, Apple was named as a defendant in eight
| patent infringement lawsuits, up from five during the same period in 2007.
| Only one such lawsuit was filed during the first four months of 2006, on
| behalf of Burst.com. Apple settled that lawsuit for $10 million last
| November. The first four months of 2005 also brought just one patent lawsuit
| against Apple. In 2004, three patent lawsuits were filed against Apple from
| January through the end of April.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207402599

They ought to just join ESP and put an end to software patents once and for
all, just as they publicly protested to labels about DRM.

There are some KDE and Compiz features that cannot be implemented or included
because of Apple patents.

| Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that patch illegal because Apple
| has an patent on this effect? Confused At least its illegal in the US,
| not in Europe (afaik we don't have software patents yet).
`----

http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?p=7365#7365

Apple sued over iPhone caller ID

,----[ Quote ]
| Figa's patent, describes an "an automatic incoming telephone call number
| display system for detecting an incoming call and identifying the party
| associated with the incoming call number".
|
| Like the iPhone, the system "includes a directory of telephone numbers and
| parties associated with those numbers," and it's equipped with "circuitry
| detects the origin telephone number of an incoming telephone call and
| compares that number with numbers in the directory for identifying the
| calling party."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/apple_sued_over_iphone_callerid/

Apple sued for visual voicemail patent infringement - again

,----[ Quote ]
| It is the second time Klausner has had a bash at the suit, after it updated
| its original complaint from December. The outfit claims both Apple and AT&T
| infringed its patent of a “Telephone Answering Device Linking Displayed Data
| with Recorded Audio Message”.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/21/apple-sued-patent-infringement

KDE king Seigo talks life, free software and reinventing the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple doesn't get the open source development model and has a very control
| oriented corporate culture and that doesn't mesh very well with an open,
| collaborative environment. Apple is getting better at it, or at least parts
| of Apple are getting it. I hope to look at it in five years and say this was
| growing pains for Apple to get where it is.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;885892575;pp;1

Apple failing to understand open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
| cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
| expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/apple_failing_to_understand_op.html

Mozilla exec calls Apple's Safari plan 'duopolistic'

,----[ Quote ]
| In the speech predicting how Apple would expand its market share, Jobs showed
| a slide with Safari dominating almost a quarter of the market--a market
| shared only with a single other browser, Internet Explorer.
|
| Lilly says he doesn't believe that this was an omission or simplification,
| but instead an indication that Jobs is hoping to steal people who use Firefox
| and other smaller browsers in order to run a "duopoly" with Redmond.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6191562.html

Researcher Blasts Apple for 'Negligent' Patching

,----[ Quote ]
| A researcher who went public last month with the first iPhone vulnerability
| says Apple's updating of the open-source components it uses in Mac OS X is
| inexcusable and negligent.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135589-c,macos/article.html

Wozniak hates Open Sauce