[News] Sun Goes After GNU/Linux Distros and iPhone for Java Preinstalls

Sun woos Linux distros with bundle deals

,----[ Quote ]
| The goal is for distros to come with Sun's open source Java Enterprise
| Edition project Glassfish, the NetBeans development framework, and the Java
| Standard Edition project OpenJDK.
|
| Sun is reaching out to Debian, after parts of Glassfish began showing up in
| the distro - Sun would, obviously, like to see all of Glassfish ship with
| Debian.
|
| Sun is also working to build on early work with Ubuntu. As of now, OpenJDK is
| available in the Hardy Heron release of Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/28/sun_open_source_software_distros/

Java - 100 per cent open source by end of this year

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is to open source the last closed-source parts of Java, a move that
| should make it possible to fully integrate the software into Linux
| distributions.
`----

http://software.silicon.com/applications/0,39024653,39208906,00.htm

Sun continues pursuit of Java for iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has not been publicly receptive to having Java on its popular new
| device. There have been questions about whether Apple's iPhone SDK agreement
| would permit this. The JVM potentially could sidestep Apple's App Store
| program for dispensing iPhone applications.
|
| Meanwhile, Sun also is working with Innaworks to bring Java applications to
| the iPhone.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1998460442&rid=-50

Apple doesn't like FOSS (see below), so Sun shouldn't hold its breath.

Recent:

Apple's Leopard rejects latest version of Java

,----[ Quote ]
| Leopard may have 300 new features, but it is unable to run Java 1.6, even
| though that same version is available for both Windows and Linux. That has
| taken some Mac users by surprise, including some on this user forum on
| Apple's website.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/10/29/no_java_for_leopard/

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

Related:

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
| than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
| product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
| preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
| mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/forget_iphone_hail_openmoko_the_true_revolution

Open Phones with Open Moko

,----[ Quote ]