[News] Research Du Jour Revolves Around Microsoft Windows Botnets

Researchers 'Poison' Storm Botnet

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of German researchers has unveiled the first publicly released
| research attempting to actively disrupt a peer-to-peer botnet - using as
| their case study the notorious Storm worm.
|
| [...]
|
| The bots were located in more than 200 countries, with the biggest proportion
| in the U.S., at 23 percent.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,145171-pg,1/article.html

A waste of productivity value.

Last week:

Microsoft warns of web server flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has issued an advisory on the vulnerability, which affects
| Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista and Windows
| Server 2008.
|
| [...]
|
| "The web server is widely used on the internet, and is a top pick by
| web-hosting providers. We might see web-hosting providers targeted, and their
| clients' websites breached."
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2214722/microsoft-warns-web-server

Schneier: Lots of Security Software Is 'snake Oil'

,----[ Quote ]
| IDG News Service: So what do you think is the biggest threat right now?
|
| Schneier: Crime.
|
| IDG News Service: So how do you fix it? It's expensive to investigate, it's
| cross-jurisdictional.
|
| Schneier: It might not be fixable. A lot of [the solution] is going to be
| making the things that criminals are going after harder to get. You're not
| going to stop the criminals.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144938/schneier_lots_of_security_software_is_snake_oil.html

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Botnets Running Rampant

,----[ Quote ]
| How much money is being stolen by cybercriminals? No one knows, and no one
| even knows how to go about coming up with that number, IronPort's Peterson
| said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144489/botnets_running_rampant.html

New Massive Botnet Twice the Size of Storm

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=150292&WT.svl=news1_1