[News] Linux Outgrows Male Stereotype

Girls Love Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If you think that Linux is only "for the boys", then think again. Did you
| know that there are women-oriented Linux communities that are created to
| provide both technical and social support for women Linux users? The most
| well known among them is called LinuxChix, and I’m not kidding. To know more
| about LinuxChix, I have collected some interesting facts about them so read
| on.
|
| LinuxChix was founded in 1998-99 by Deb Richardson, who was a technical
| writer and webmaster at an open source consulting firm. Her reason for
| founding LinuxChix was to create an alternative to the "locker room
| mentality" of other Linux User Groups and forums.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/girls-love-linux.html

Many kernel hackers are female too (see photo below).

Related:

Kernel Summit: customer panel and group photo

,----[ Quote ]
| Also, for all readers, [it] is the obligatory group photo, available in
| medium resolution, full resolution, and full resolution annotated forms.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/248893/

[Fwd: [Announce] 5th Linuxchix Brazil Conference]

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on the encouragement and inclusion of women in the Free and Open
| Source Software movement, but united by the ideology, Linuxchix Brazil is
| a large and highly active chapter of Linuxchix.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/247814/

Linuxchix New Zealand set up

,----[ Quote ]
| Women who like Linux now have a community organisation in New
| Zealand to support them: LinuxChix NZ.

Linuxchix Australia Expands

,----[ Quote ]
| An Australia-wide chapter of LinuxChix has formed, for women
| living in Australia who are interested in Linux and Free Software.

SCALE 5x: Women in Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "It was excellent, but I came with, I suppose... a little bit of
| fear that nobody was going to show up. I've dabbled with the
| idea of having similar thing at a conference that I run called
| the Ohio Linux Fest," she told me. "I absolutely feel inspired by
| this. I wondered for quite some time as to how I made the shift --
| of being able to walk into this community and feel that I would
| be accepted rather than just sit down very shyly and figure that
| I wasn't going to be accepted. I do now feel like a welcomed
| member of this community."
`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/300/

Portrait: LinuxChix Brazil's Sulamita Garcia

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of people have bemoaned the lack of women participating
| in open source communities, but Sulamita Garcia is one of the
| few who have stepped up to do something about it. A Slackware
| user from Florianopolis, Brazil, Garcia has been heading up
| LinuxChix Brazil for four years.
|
| Garcia has been involved with Linux and open source software
| since 1999, when she was at university finishing a computer
| science degree and was tasked with testing asynchronous transfer
| mode (ATM) cards in a Linux system.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/07/1645205&tid=12

GNU/Linux distro for women? Why not?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's face it: As Tim Berners-Lee pointed out recently, the male geek culture
| can be an intimidating place. Hell, it still intimidates me sometimes, since,
| although I'm male, my degree was in English and communications rather than
| computer science. You only have to browse the archives of a mailing list for
| LinuxChix or any other woman's group to encounter horror stories.
| Experienced, qualified women finding their opinions ignored, women unable to
| attend a professional gathering without being hit upon, misogynistic slurs --
| the list goes on and on (and you'll probably see some examples of such things
| in the comments about this story).
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119488

Linux distro for women? Thanks, but no thanks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119489