[News] Sun Brags About 25,000,000 MySQL Downloads a Year

Sun CEO Schwartz Champions Open Source at Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Schwartz also gave out some numbers pertaining to MySQL. As eWeek notes
| Schwartz is excited by the fact that MySQL gets 70,000 downloads a day onto
| servers and storage devices. Those, of course, are high profit margin
| categories that Sun specializes in.
`----

http://ostatic.com/160256-blog/sun-ceo-schwartz-champions-open-source-at-web-2-0

Also from the conference.

WordPress founder talks traffic, new features to Web 2.0 crowd

,----[ Quote ]
| You have to hand it to WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg. At his talk at
| today's Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco, he managed to be the first conference
| speaker to put up a picture of a LOLcat while actually tying it into what his
| company is all about.
`----

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9928900-2.html

He is actually a *co*-founder. The other half is in Greater Manchester. It's
all GPL.

Recent:

Mera SQL, dil mangey more!

,----[ Quote ]
| Then in 1996 a Swedish startup came up with the idea of creating a data base
| — or Structured Query Language (SQL), you ask questions of your data, any way
| you want — entirely in the Open Source arena.
|
| What’s more, it was meant for people to use with Web applications — and it
| would be free.
|
| MySQL was born and after 100 million downloads, it is one of the most popular
| Web-centric data base tools in use today.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/16/stories/2008031655781100.htm

MySQL CEO: it's tough for private open source firms

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2008/03/mysql_ceo_its_t.html