Re: [News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Senior Vice President (Windows Executive) Jumps Ship!

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 April 2008 14:47 : \____

>> ____/ Homer on Wednesday 16 April 2008 21:47 : \____

>>> In all fairness to the Indians, they'll probably do a better job than
>>> Microsoft. They certainly can't do much /worse/.
>>
>> They are very good programmer. What pisses me off is not the offshoring, but
>> the lies (excuses and truth-bending) you constantly hear from the CEOs. Just
>> watch Gates as he mocks the intelligence of Americans in order to justify
>> cost savings. It's appalling, coming from the same man who says that an
>> average computer user has the brain of a spidermonkey. You can probably
>> still remember the things he said in that page about his attitude towards
>> software bugs.
>
> There is something of an issue here, though.  Consider that in the UK,
> something heading for 50% of people are getting a degree now, whereas it
> used to be about 5%.  Basically, some degrees are now so easy, they really
> are completely worthless.  So whilst it might appear that there are a
> lot of graduates around, once you sift out the ones with degrees in
> hairdressing and car polishing and hotel management and so on, what's
> left is a pretty small pool.
>
> Speaking to colleagues from my own and other companies, the situation in
> the US is very similar, so they might have a point.
>

>>> As for Microvell ...
>>> they're a spent force, destined for oblivion, just like Linspite.  Of
>>> course that was Microsoft's plan all along, so in that sense they won
>>> and ironically we (the detractors) helped them.  Not that we had much
>>> choice ... help Microsoft poison Free Software,  or help them destroy
>>> sellout Linux vendors. Some choice.
>>>
>>> With that much money they have an almost invincible power to corrupt,
>>> and oh how they love to wield that power. May they burn in Hell.
>>
>> Let's watch what they do. On the Internet, crimes can be made shallow,
>> particularly owing to bloggers who are close to the incidents (the
>> OpenMalaysia Blog for example).
>>

> Those companies which "sell-out" are taking a very interesting position.
> Free software, like it or not, is a political position (not a party, but
> a position).  It's a position with respect to freedom to use equipment
> which you have purchased, and the freedom to change equipment in order
> to suit your own requirements.  It doesn't sit particularly closely to
> any existing party political position we'd see here in the UK, as each of
> the parties could readily cuddle up to these ideas without compromising
> their other political territory.
>
> The consequence of this is that those companies which seek to gain the
> benefits of this political position in one hand, and attempt to compromise
> that position in the other hand, like Novell, Linspire and surely many
> others, really end up getting what they deserve.  GPLed software, by its
> nature, was born free and will remain free, irrespective of the actions
> of those companies.  If a scared CEO, or a greedy CEO, likes the appeal
> [...]

I think that Novell might be bought by Microsoft at a later stage. Others
suspect so too.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
 15:20:01 up 10 days, 13:32,  3 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.80, 1.02