Re: ditch Google Desktop Search ..

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 24 April 2008 12:48 : \____

> On Apr 24, 3:51 am, Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search
>> my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people
>> have suggested that I remove it"
>>
>> "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given up on it .. the
>> search built into Vista is very good, and Microsoft is trying to
>> provide the same facilities for XP"
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/25l3a
>
> Desktop search, ah, yes!  Another example of Microsoft "innovation"!

As a refresher, Microsoft indexes no matter what (under Vista), so it eats up
resources for its own benefit no matter what you choice is (like IE as a must
in Windows). Also see:

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

It was quite a case of corruption at the time.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
Tasks: 114 total,   2 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie