[News] Debian GNU/Linux Highlights Development Boost, Recruitment

19 new Debian Developers this week: The Debian Project improves its New
Maintainer process

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the bottlenecks is the Debian Accout Management (DAM), and Sam
| Hocevar delegated some important tasks to more people, distributing future
| workload. While the batch of new DD accounts were created, he issued a Debian
| Project  Leader (DPL) announcement just before transferring position to the
| new  elected DPL, Steve McIntyre.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1234-19-new-Debian-Developers:-Debian-improves-its-NM-process

Kernel development also very lively and advanced...

Defaulting To 4K Stacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Arjan van de Ven suggested that though the 2.6 VM is much improved over the
| 2.4 VM, fragmentation with 8K stacks remains an unsolvable problem, "it's
| basic math; the Linux VM gets to deal with both short and long lasting
| allocations; no matter how hard you try to get some degree of fragmentation;
| especially due to the 15:1 acceleration you get due to the lowmem issue. And
| before you say 'you should use 64 bit on such machines'; I would love it if
| more people used 64 bit linux. Sadly the adoption rate of that is not very
| good still.... by far ;(" In another email, Arjan listed two advantages to 4K
| stacks, "1) less memory consumption in the lowmem zone (critical for
| enterprise use, also good for general performance), and 2) kernel stacks at
| 8K are one of the most prominent order-1 allocations in the kernel; again
| with big-memory systems the fragmentation of the lowmem zone is a problem
| (and the distros that ship 4K stacks went there because of customer
| complaints)".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Defaulting_To_4K_Stacks

Recent:

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

Linux Market to Triple by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| Analyst firm Research and Markets has just put out a project on Linux-based
| server and client hardware sales, and is projecting that the market will more
| than triple between 2007 and 2012.
|
| A market for a platform is not the same as an ecosystem for it, which is much
| larger in that it includes the cost of people and third-party software and
| services for the code that runs atop the platform. So the R&M Linux market
| numbers might seem a little small. In any event, the consultancy pegged the
| Linux product and services market for Linux running on servers and clients
| (but not embedded systems) at $2.4 billion in 2007.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

Linux products and services to touch $7.7 bn by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| The market for Linux products and services will grow from $2.4 bn in 2007 to
| $7.7 bn in 2012.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Linux-products-and-services-to-touch-$77-bn-by-2012/5108102625/0/

Related:

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

,----[ Quote ]
| Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
| device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
| the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
| mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
| countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
| Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
| for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978

Open source to hit $22 billion by 2010. What this means for Red Hat and Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, this number jumps to $41 billion if you add in the $19 billion
| that enterprises will invest in internal open-source development instead of
| wasting it on proprietary software licenses, according to Morgan Stanley...
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9806036-16.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850