[News] Sun Goes for Software as a Service, Possibly with GNU/Linux and MySQL

Sun Launches Software as a Service Blitz

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun made a major software as a service (SaaS) announcement today involving
| the Solaris operating system. But I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.
| There’s a high probability, I believe, that Sun will rapidly expand its SaaS
| efforts to include the MySQL database (near term) and potentially Ubuntu
| Linux (long term).
`----

http://www.mspmentor.net/2008/04/23/sun-launches-software-as-a-service-blitz/

Turns out that MySQL's move had nothing to do with Sun...

Mercury News interview: Fitting MySQL into Sun's orbit

,----[ Quote ]
| Others said that's not unusual. Mickos posted responses on several blogs,
| saying the move predates Sun's acquisition and is part of an effort to build
| revenue while keeping the core product open-source. He also said there's no
| decision on how the add-ons may ultimately be licensed.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com//ci_8991815?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

Closing MySQL: Marten Mickos Responds

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever you think of Mickos's reasoning behind the move, explained below,
| the company deserves full marks for responding so quickly to a situation that
| it admits was caused by its own slightly maladroit handling of an
| announcement, which in retrospect was bound to be controversial.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=738&blogid=14

MySQL VP outlines future roadmap, database trends

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL gets used in a lot of hosted environments. It's used by Amazon,
| Rackspace and many on-demand Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
| There's more use of databases, and increasingly databases will be like
| Facebook: Web-based, running 24/7, and hosted instead of running on premises.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/interview/0,289202,sid39_gci1310614,00.html?track=sy184&asrc=RSS_RSS-15_184
http://tinyurl.com/57a84e

Recent:

Move from Solaris to RHEL boosts performance for the Chicago Mercantile
Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, the traders betting on future commodity
| price fluctuations aren't the only ones who know what it means to take a
| risk. Five years ago, Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME), now part of the CME
| Group, placed a hefty bet: that it could trust Linux with the heart of its
| business, executing billions of contracts a year and processing them faster
| than previously.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1309889,00.html

Related:

Sun Microsystems' Next Linux Move

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather, Sun is preparing to certify more of its servers for Canonical's
| Ubuntu Linux. The effort includes Sun's latest small and midsize business
| servers. In an interview with Reuters on April 2, Canonical CEO Mark
| Shuttleworth reinforced the growing relations between Sun and Ubuntu.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/71011-sun-microsystems-next-linux-move

Sun deploys Linux high performance cluster at Kuwait Oil Company

,----[ Quote ]
| Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) has deployed a Linux-based High Performance Cluster
| from Sun Microsystems to run its reservoir simulation software, increase its
| processing power, and enable the company to take critical business decisions
| faster than ever before.
`----

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.php?option=com_pressreleases&view=detail&pr_id=10633&Itemid=77&ln=en

Sun's X64-Based Streaming Server Runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn042607-story01.html