Re: Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market

On 2008-04-22, Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> on 17/04/08 20:12 Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> What codecs and patents does Microsoft control that Red Hat would need for desktop Linux?
>
> It's a bit of a grey area. Not 'microsoft codecs' per se but codecs that
> may trod on some patent trolls toes. I recall that Ubuntu doesn't carry
>   certain codecs on the disks, you are given the option to download them
> from sites outside the US. There's usually some legalize included about
> 'you may be violating .. if you are in the USA' bla bla bla ...

    ...while this is all true. This particular shenanigan is nothing new
as are the workarounds.

    3rd party software. Whodathunkit. It would be like needing to install
a separate app to view h264 trailers from apple or needing to install a
separate app to view realmedia files (except not nearly as hard as that).

--
	On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

        When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were        |||
        meant to be computationally convenient rather than just     / | \
	arbitrarily assigned.