[News] US Government May Keep Suicidal USPTO in Tact

A Eulogy For Patent Reform?

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone agreed that the U.S. patent system needs to be updated. But if it
| hadn't been for one sticking point, that update might have come this year.
|
| Now that high-level talks in the Senate Judiciary Committee have broken down,
| the opportunity for the patent system's first major overhaul in 50 years may
| have been lost -- at least for the current legislative session.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/government/article.php/3741946

It's all controlled the corporations, the monopolies. Until the system
collapses nothing will change.

Interview with Kurt Denke, the man who shut "Monster Cable" up

,----[ Quote ]
| I was lucky enough to catch Kurt Denke for a short interview. Kurt is
| actually on vacation right now; however, he still found some time to answer
| my questions. For those who have been living under a rock for the last week,
| Kurt Denke is the owner of Blue Jeans Cable; Monster Cable attacked Blue
| Jeans Cable on the basis of “Intellectual Property violations”. You should
| read Kurd Denke’s response. It’s a very enjoyable read, which makes you
| realise just how knowledgeable Kurt Denke is, on intellectual property law
| and on cables (!).
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/interview_kurt_denke_man_who_shut_monster_cable_up

Intellectual monopoly says "keep out!"

Related and recent:

Patent police raid booths at CeBit trade show

,----[ Quote ]
| The police didn't name which people or companies were targeted, but they did
| say the alleged patent violations deal with devices that have MP3, MP4, or
| digital video broadcast functions; DVD players; and blank CDs and DVDs. They
| managed to fill 68 boxes with gadgets, documents, and advertising material
| and took down the identities of nine people, most of whom were reportedly
| cooperative.
|
| The raid was a response to a rising number of "criminal complaints by the
| holders of patent rights in the run-up to CeBit," and the patent holders had
| warned the accused companies in "good time" about their lack of licenses,
| police said, according to the AP.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9887955-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

CeBIT 2008: Alleged patent troll Sisvel throws wrench in works of several
smartphone and digital media player makers over MP3 licensing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20080306VL202.html