[News] How ISO and Microsoft Denied OOXML Scandals, Left Blushing

There was 1 in the bed and the little one said, “Norway votes Yes!”

,----[ Quote ]
| It is so important that we now publish our notes about what really happened.
| Not only in Norway but in standard committees worldwide. So many untold
| stories are out there. Stories which explain the outrage. Stories we shared
| with our peers but not the general public.
|
| [...]
|
| To overcome a potential bias of that story about what really happened you can
| find the other side of the story in Stephen McGibbon's Blog: Norway and
| Germany, There Are No Irregularities. Ironically the Microsoft employee
| posted it 1st of April.
|
| ISO spokesperson Roger Frost was quoted by the NYTimes:
|
|     Mr. Frost …upon investigation considered the Norwegian dispute to be an
|     internal matter. “We have received background information from them and
|     have no reason to question the validity of their vote,” Mr. Frost said.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-54636/there-was-1-in-the-bed-and-the-little-one-said-norway-votes-yes

'Justice'. The bizzaro way...

Recent:

[Tim Bray:] ISO Fantasy

,----[ Quote ]
| What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
| differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶
|
| [...]
|
| What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
| marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
| want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
| morning.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

Sinclair's Syndrome

,----[ Quote ]
| For ISO, in a public relations pitch, to blithely suggest that several
| thousand page Fast Tracks are "not unusual" shows an audacious disregard for
| the truth and a lack of respect for a public that is looking for ISO to
| correct its errors, not blow smoke at them in a revisionist attempt to
| portray the DIS 29500 approval process as normal, acceptable or even
| legitimate. We should expect better from ISO and we should express
| disappointment in them when they let us down in our reasonable expectations
| of honesty. We don't expect this from Ecma. We don't expect this from
| Microsoft. But we should expect this from ISO.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/sinclairs-syndrome.html

Software wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Allegations of committee-stuffing, the outcome of votes overridden by
| political appointees, a final decision that many involved consider tainted:
| this may sound like a discredited election in some third world country. But
| it is actually a description of an ugly fight over international technical
| standards that wrapped up this week. Microsoft came out on top, but at the
| cost of tarnishing its reputation and the credibility of an important
| back-room process that oils the wheels of many global industries.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c9743360-01a8-11dd-a323-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fc9743360-01a8-11dd-a323-000077b07658.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerworlduk.com%2Ftool

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

| In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
| WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
| standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
| SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]