[News] Call for Government Investment in FOSS Healthcare

Dude! The $100m VistA Open Source Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| I am know for throwing an occasional “Dude” into my jocular speech. Ok, maybe
| more than a couple when excited. OK, maybe more than a couple when I am not
| so excited as well. OK, maybe I use it indiscriminately at random times. But
| hey, I am just following Merriam-Webster definition of the appropriate usage
| of the term “practically anywhere” within a sentence.
|
| But dude! Have you actually read the recent GAO reports regarding the status
| of the current VistA modernization project? I was literally shocked - let me
| save you the trauma by pulling in the highlights (where is WorldVistA, VistA
| Software Alliance, Roger Maduro, or any of the VistA luminaries in terms of
| reporting on this?)
`----

http://www.thehealthcareblog.com/the_health_care_blog/2008/08/dude-the-100m-v.html#more

Recent:

Open Source Medical Records

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea is simple - take the the publicly available code from the Veterans
| Administration clinical information system, add new modules such as revenue
| cycle interfaces that are needed in practices outside the VA system and
| include support/implementation services. In effect, you'll have the "Red Hat
| Linux" of the electronic health record world.
`----

http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/2008/07/open-source-medical-records.html

Doctors, PHDs to edit new Wikipedia of medical information

,----[ Quote ]
| A project launched Wednesday aims to create what is in essence a medical
| Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia focused on explaining conditions, drugs,
| procedures, medial facilities and other medical topics written by physicians
| and PhDs.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1238485857;fp;16;fpid;1

Related:

Now You Can Read What Doctors See

,----[ Quote ]
| John Willinsky, Open Medicine's volunteer publisher and an open access
| expert at the University of British Columbia, argues access to
| knowledge shouldn't cost the public a dime.
`----

http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2007/04/18/OpenMed/

Push for open access to research

,----[ Quote ]