[News] "Linux" is Not an Operating System

You keep using that phrase "operating system"...

,----[ Quote ]
| From the article: Linus Torvalds needs no introduction in operating systems
| or open-source circles. He's the creator, muse and chief developer of the
| Linux operating system. Torvalds started Linux while he was in college in
| 1991.
|
| Linus seems to be saying some pretty reasonable things lately, but the people
| who interview him keep crediting him with creating an "operating system"
| called "Linux".
|
| The problem with this assertion is that Richard Stallman started the GNU
| project (which GNU/Linux is based on) while Linus Torvalds was still hanging
| from his mothers teat.
|
| Ok, that's probably an exaggeration. Richard Stallman initiated the GNU
| project in 1983.
|
| Initial Announcement of GNU Project in September 27th 1983
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/blog/you-keep-using-phrase-operating-system

Richard Stallman in Auckland: On copyright in a networked world

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came back from Richard Stallman's lecture at the University of
| Auckland. I was surprised by the amazing interest in his talk, the lecture
| hall being entirely jam-packed full, people standing along the back and all
| the way out into the hallway. I was lucky to be there early enough to get one
| of the last few chairs.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/5576

Days ago:

Linux is a platform, not an OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, a staunch opponent of Linux, already understands this very
| vividly.   They no longer see Windows as just an "operating system", but as
| an entire platform.  They realize that the only way Windows has a prayer of
| surviving, especially in today's open source world, is if everything runs on
| Windows, including every FOSS program out there.  They've even admitted that
| as much themselves, saying that they think that all open source should run on
| Windows.
|
| And Apple is no different, nor Sun, nor IBM.  They see their respective
| operating systems as platforms, not OS's.  Sure, IBM supports Linux, but they
| also support IBM Unix, and in both cases they see their respective operating
| systems as platforms onto which they place lots of other software.  So
| ultimately one of the biggest failings of Linux marketing is that people are
| working too hard to sell the operating system side of it, but failing to sell
| the platform aspects of it.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=448

Recent:

Microsoft to Users: We're Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| Microsoft code-named the project Midori. As best I can figure, it's cloud
| computing: Everything, including applications and data, is on the Internet.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/007383.html

Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

,----[ Quote ]
| As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
| CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
| Seattle event on Thursday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144773/ballmer_vista_is_a_work_in_progress.html

Related:

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks