[News] Supercomputing for the Masses with New Free Software and GNU/Linux

Open Source and the Poor Man's Supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM made a slew of announcements and predictions on open source topics at
| this week's LinuxWorld conference, but one of the least talked about and
| written about announcements was this one (Matt Asay did single it out). IBM
| released its HPC Open Software Stack as open source, aiming at
| cheaper-to-deploy, simpler supercomputers. The software stack is  designed to
| make clusters--servers linked together to form a single super-fast
| system--more productive, less costly in both software and hardware terms,
| and easier to manage. Why should the open source community at large pay
| attention to this?
`----

http://ostatic.com/170836-blog/open-source-and-the-poor-mans-supercomputer

Lessons Learned, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| The course I teach is designed for system administrators or talented end
users who want to go a little deeper into cluster performance and tuning. One
of the things I try to emphasize is that HPC pushes and uses hardware
differently than most other markets. For example, consider an GigE switch.
They all do the same thing right? You just plug in the cables and everything
just works. That is unless you bought the switch that makes a carrier pigeon
network look fast when all the ports are running at full speed. I often make
the statement, “You can’t build a cluster by consulting those glossy data
sheets. The devil, as they say, is in the details. Assumptions can ruin your
day and waste time and money”. Great advice, too bad I ignored most of it this
past week.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6647/

GNU/Linux is untouchable in this area.

Recent:

Linux still super in Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| In the June 2008 Top500 list, Linux still lives large with a role in 92% of
| systems (It is the only OS for 85.4%, but when considering all distributions
| (SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and general ‘Linux,’ as well as mixed uses that
| include Linux, I figure the share is more like the 92%).
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/26/linux-still-super-in-top500/

IBM to open source supercomputing code

,----[ Quote ]