[News] Mobile Linux Consortia Happy Independently

Google Says Android's Fine, No Need To Join LiMo

,----[ Quote ]
| Google on Tuesday said its Android mobile operating system is not planning to
| join a growing consortium of mobile Linux companies even though the two sides
| have similar foundations and goals of besting Apple's iPhone.
|
| Eric Chu, a group marketing manager with Google's Android group, downplayed
| any talk that his company would be lending its name to the Linux Mobile
| Foundation -- or LiMo -- in an attempt to standardize mobile middleware. LiMo
| said on Monday that it has signed 11 new member companies in recent weeks and
| said that the number of mobile devices running the LiMo OS now totals 21.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209903360
http://tinyurl.com/55qkkq

LiMo-ready mobile stack firms tidy up partnerships

,----[ Quote ]
| Two LiMo-member mobile phone stack firms followed through on partnership
| deals in separate announcements this week. Purple Labs announced a joint
| testing commitment with Openwave Systems, and Access announced it had
| concluded a joint development agreement on FOMA phones with NTT DoCoMo.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7602118344.html?kc=rss

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."
        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006

Recent:

Open source to 'blow mobiles open'

,----[ Quote ]
| McCabe said that the impending release of Google Android would provide
| a "wonderful catalyst" for the breakdown of proprietary software and hardware
| bundles from telcos. Other open source handset software includes the recent
| release of mobile Ubuntu.
`----

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39253486,00.htm

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----