[News] 2 New Releases of Linux and a Comparison of Filesystems

Comparing HAMMER And Tux3

,----[ Quote ]
| "The big advantage Hammer has over Tux3 is, it is up and running and released
| in the Dragonfly distro," began Daniel Phillips, offering a comparison
| between the two filesystem. He continued, "the biggest disadvantage is, it
| runs on BSD, not Linux, and it so heavily implements functionality that is
| provided by the VFS and block layer in Linux that a port would be far from
| trivial. It will likely happen eventually, but probably in about the same
| timeframe that we can get Tux3 up and stable." This led into a lengthy and
| interesting technical discussion between Daniel and HAMMER author Matthew
| Dillon, comparing the design of the two filesystems.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Comparing_HAMMER_And_Tux3

Stable kernels 2.6.25.15 and 2.6.26.2

http://lwn.net/Articles/293011/

"The number of developers working on improving Linux vastly exceeds the number
of Microsoft developers working on Windows NT."

                                           --Paul Maritz, Microsoft

Recent:

Tux3 Versioning Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| In his announcement email, Daniel noted that implementation work is
| underway, "much of the work consists of cutting and pasting bits of code I
| have developed over the years, for example, bits of HTree and ddsnap. The
| immediate goal is to produce a working prototype that cuts a lot of corners,
| for example block pointers instead of extents, allocation bitmap instead of
| free extent tree, linear search instead of indexed, and no atomic commit at
| all. Just enough to prove out the versioning algorithms and develop new user
| interfaces for version control."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/16428

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]