[News] Review of Gentoo 2008.0

Gentoo 2008.0: Return to greatness?

,----[ Quote ]
| When the long-awaited Gentoo 2008.0 release finally hit mirrors last month,
| the two largest groups of users found themselves out of luck: x86 users
| discovered that their live CD wouldn't copy the kernel during install, and
| the AMD64 image wouldn't fit onto a standard CD-ROM. This was not a great
| start for a distribution whose comeback may rest upon this release. Updated
| ISOs were released two days later, though, and those work well for getting a
| quick Gentoo install ready to customize.
|
| [...]
|
| Has Gentoo gotten its act together? Only time will tell, but it sure looks
| like Gentoo is back on the right path. I'm sticking with it.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/143570

Recent:

Gentoo Linux 2008.0

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to the GNOME LiveCD, they have switched from using GNOME to
| Xfce. Switching to this lightweight desktop environment was done to conserve
| space on the LiveCD image. Once using the LiveCD installer to install to a
| disk, you will be left with Xfce 4.4.2, but KDE or GNOME can be built from
| the Portage source. With Gentoo 2008.0 there is no x86 or AMD64 LiveDVD this
| time around (at least not for now) due to a decision by the release
| engineering team to avoid delaying the 2008.0 release any further.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gentoo_2008&num=1

Why I Use Gentoo?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, I have been asked this question many times. And of course the assumption
| is that I am some sort of a masochist who enjoys wasting time on compiling
| packages. However, that is not entirely true. There are some other reasons
| why, after trying Ubuntu (started linux with it), Gentoo and then Arch I
| settled on Gentoo.
`----

http://rahulthewall.wordpress.com/2008/06/22/why-i-use-gentoo/

Evolution, Linux, and Gentoo

,----[ Quote ]
| I'll start at the end by telling you that I'll finish this with a discussion
| of my “Distro of Choice”, Gentoo. But before we get there .....
|
| It royally annoys me when people say that Linux is too hard to learn!
| Admittedly, Linux is probably insurmountable for some people, in the same
| manner that learning Psychology would be insurmountable for me. Not everyone
| has an interest or talent in computers and their software. However, the
| statement that began this paragraph has been used to categorize computer
| users in general. I don't have a particularly strong computer background, but
| I do have an avid interest in them, so I figure that if I can do it, anyone
| with a modicum of talent and interest in computers can learn Linux if they
| want to.
`----

http://www.cookingwithlinux.com/node/118

Linux Sea, an online book on Gentoo Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been meaning to write a more elaborate document on Gentoo Linux for a
| while now. With the summer at hand and my daughter on the way, I thought it
| would be a good idea to put the current work for this (end-user) document
| online.
`----

http://www.siphos.be/node/40

Gentoo on a 1&1 vServer