Re: [News] BT's Illegal Whorm and Net Throttling (of Everyone) Come Under Fire

  • Subject: Re: [News] BT's Illegal Whorm and Net Throttling (of Everyone) Come Under Fire
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:53:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Home Office questioned over Phorm
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Critics have asked why the Home Office has not intervened over
> | secret Phorm trials BT conducted in 2006 and 2007.
> `----
>
> The EU has asked the UK government to clarify the situation.

[quote]
The Home Office told the BBC that it was unaware of BT's early trials,
in which thousands of BT customers had their web habits monitored
without consent.
[/quote]

Lie!

Why is the UK government denying knowledge of something that been all
over the news for months?

[quote]
Mr John speculated whether increased use of Phorm would make it harder
for net firms to resist growing government interest in Britons' web use.

"Such a service could offer the data retention system they want without
having to spend huge amounts of money," he said.

In correspondence with Mr John the Home Office has denied any link
between Phorm and central calls for net firms to retain data.
[quote]

Just as I suspected some time ago.

[quote]
[The Home Office] said: "The two issues are not and never have been linked."
[/quote]

Yeah, right.

So you have a spam outfit providing BT with Spyware, which they use in
secret trials to harvest data without customers' consent, which sounds
to me like it must violate the Data Protection Act, and the government
has secret talks with that same spam outfit, but refuse to make public
the details of those talks, whilst denying any knowledge of what every
-one else already knows about this data harvesting. Meanwhile the same
government department conspires with media thugs like the BPI, to make
ISPs spy on their customers for "Intellectual Property" considerations
(thus violating their right to privacy). And we are seriously supposed
to believe this is all perfectly acceptable; there is no connection or
conspiracy between the various events; and there is nothing suspicious
about the UK government ignoring protests from BT's customers; UK MPs;
and even the European Commission?

Jesus Christ!

> Note to privacy advocates: Good luck

Luck?

We need a bloody revolution, not luck.

Meanwhile:

http://www.perfect-privacy.com

Screw BT, screw the government, and screw the MAFIAA® thugs at the BPI.
Let them sniff my 256-bit AES encrypted packets all they want, it won't
do them any good. I demand the right to privacy... if my own government
won't honour that right, then I suppose I'll just have to get help from
more enlightened countries.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
| longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
| ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083

 22:53:10 up 230 days, 19:28,  4 users,  load average: 1.03, 1.02, 1.03