[News] Apple Fights Against Its Paying Customers Again

Apple Yanks Another Popular App from iTunes, This Time Box Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Apple quietly stopped distributing NetShare, put it back up, and
| now appears to have pulled it again. But what could we expect? It was a piece
| of software allowing users to transform their iPhones into Wi-Fi hotspots.
|
| This weekend, however, with no notice to the developer or reasonable
| explanation, Apple has pulled the popular free movie finder app Box Office
| from the App Store. But unlike Netshare, no one has any idea why the software
| is no longer in distribution...making the developer quite verbal in their own
| frustration...
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5032642/apple-yanks-another-popular-app-from-itunes-this-time-box-office

Recent:

iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source development. My
| iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or Apple, and never cost
| any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't run Unix apps any more. I'm
| back to hauling a notebook around when just my iPod Touch would do.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/08/iphone_hackers.html

Related:

Apple failing to understand open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
| cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
| expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/apple_failing_to_understand_op.html

Class action over carrier-locked iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is being sued by another iPhone customer, this time over the inability
| to use the phone with carriers other than AT&T, and high international
| roaming  charges.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14206&Itemid=1054

Why Apple Can't Stop iPhone Hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| So will Apple and AT&T's legal action deter hackers? Hardly. Individual users
| are already allowed to unlock their own phones under an exemption to the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) that the U.S. Copyright Office issued
| last November.
`----

http://businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc20070827_230698.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives
http://tinyurl.com/23upc6

Apple Bullies Bloggers, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has a history of using lawyers against bloggers. There was
| the now infamous Think Secret lawsuit, which may have had merit.
| But they also engage in clearly superfluous, bullying tactics as well.
|
| [...]
|
| The offending download page is here (the software has now been
| removed). Blogger Paul O?Brien simply linked to this download
| page and included a screenshot of the user interface and also
| received a cease & desist letter from Apple's lawyers.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/01/13/apple-bullies-bloggers-again/

How Apple orchestrated web attack on researchers

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is a mega corporation that nearly smashed the reputation of
| two individuals with bogus claims of fraud. It didn't matter
| that they weren't the ones pulling the trigger because they
| were pulling all the strings.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=451

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

Apple promises to kill unlocked Iphones

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/apple-promises-to-kill-unlocked-iphones

iPod Classic Will Be Supported

,----[ Quote ]
| As recently reported on Slashdot, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has added a
| checksum to the iPod database apparently to restrict non-iTunes products
| (like Amarok via libgpod) from having the ability to add music.
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html

Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18681/Apple-to-Brick-Modded-iPhones-Apple-Boycott/