[News] Reviews of Ulteo GNU/Linux and GoblinX 2.7

Ulteo: What Gael Did Next

,----[ Quote ]
| And I hope that he and his team are able to offer a stable, fast service long
| before Microsoft make significant headway with their secretive Midori
| project.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/08/ulteo-what-gael-did-next.html

GoblinX 2.7

http://distrotest.es/goblinx-27/

In Spanish, but there's a video.

Recent:

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

Ulteo Virtual Desktop: Letting Linux Do Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| While Test Center reviewers with Linux knowledge didn't really see the
| usefulness of the application, others with limited familiarity were wowed by
| it. The biggest value of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is in letting newcomers to
| Linux get acquainted with it in a comfortable, Windows environment. All of
| the included applications are integrated seamlessly, with easy access to the
| Desktop and My Documents folders, as well as network connectivity. Similar to
| the KDE layout, the Ulteo Virtual Desktop's interface is easy to navigate and
| the included array of graphics viewers and editors, multimedia players,
| office-based programs, and utilities are intuitive to those unfamiliar with
| them. Mozilla's FireFox Web browser and ThunderBird mail client are the
| default, as is the Kopete IM client.
|
| Considering that this is not even a version 1 beta, we have high hopes for
| Ulteo Virtual Desktop. It allows Linux novices to dip their toes into the
| water without any fear, and lets Linux pros use their favorite applications
| when they are forced to be in a Windows environment.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/208400377

Related:

Run Native Linux Applications in Windows Vista - Via Ulteo Virtual Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Binaries tailored specifically to the open source Linux operating system can
| coexist on the same desktop with Windows Vista and Windows XP programs via
| Ulteo Virtual Desktop. Essentially, the
| promise of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is to deliver Linux applications on
| Windows via the Ulteo panel. The virtualized environment will permit end
| users to run native Linux solutions right on the Windows Vista desktop, and
| integration complete down to the level of sharing the Windows Aero graphical
| user interface.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Run-Native-Linux-Applications-in-Windows-Vista-86390.shtml

Flipping the Linux switch: Switching, literally, with Ulteo Virtual Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Like andLinux, Ulteo's Virtual Desktop (often referred to with the rather
| misfortunate name UlteoVD) runs off a coLinux base. There is no
| virtualization software involved. But we'd especially recommend UlteoVD for
| those pondering whether a Linux switch could work for them, for a number of
| reasons.We'd recommend UlteoVD first to people who are currently using or
| could see themselves using their previous services. Ulteo started by offering
| OpenOffice.org in a browser, coupled with syncing services. Nice, for sure.
| They then offered an installable Ulteo disk, which felt a lot like Ubuntu in
| many ways, with the noticeable difference of automatic updates (as in, no
| user interaction) and syncing with the browser based services.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/05/20/flipping-the-linux-switch-switching-literally-with-ulteo-virt/
http://tinyurl.com/46jn4x

Ulteo — My digital life made simple

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, after two years, there is a successive release of the Ulteo
| distribution. The purpose of the Beta1 Ulteo Application System is to feature
| what it can develop into in the nearest future, especially considering the
| Ulteo Online Desktop.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ulteo/ulteo-my-digital-life-made-simple/

Ulteo Application System Beta 1 - the FOSSwire review

,----[ Quote ]
| Ulteo is no ordinary Linux distribution. It demonstrates incredible
| innovation.
|
| It is clear that in the future, we won’t use computers anything like we do
| now. More and more data will be moved away from specific client devices, like
| the PC, and be put on a server somewhere. It will be networks and
| infrastructure that then connect each client device to the data.
|
| Wherever you are, whatever device you’re using, you’ll be able to access your
| data and keep it fully synchronised with everything else.
|
| Ulteo doesn’t do all this yet, it’s not even close. But Ulteo takes an
| important step towards this goal, and demonstrates how this might be
| possible, perhaps giving a little window into what could happen in the
| future.
|
| It is an extremely promising proof of concept that this just might be able to
| work and I will continue to follow the Ulteo project with keen interest.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2008/03/28/ulteo-application-system-beta-1-the-fosswire-review/

Ulteo Applications System Beta 1 Screenshots

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Ulteo%20Applications%20System%20Beta%201

What Gael Did Next - Ulteo Online Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| I will admit that I haven’t played with it that much, so this review is a bit
| limited. That said, if you are away from your home machine, your office
| machine or even your home country, you can be working fairly quickly whether
| you carry a laptop or not.
|
| If you are interested, go to the Ulteo homepage and sign up and try it out.
| It’s still in it’s relatively early stages (the software included in the
| desktop is not current) but already you can see that you have much more than
| Google are offering.
`----

http://www.lostaddress.org/index.php/2008/03/22/what-gael-did-next-ulteo-online-desktop/

Ulteo Application System beta1 has been released…

,----[ Quote ]
| Automatic synchronization of documents with the Ulteo Online Desktop,
| automatic upgrading, new “My Digital life” panel, installation in about 3
| minutes, hundreds applications available… That’s what you’ll find in this
| just-released installable version of Ulteo Application System.
`----

http://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/?p=50

Ulteo brings OpenOffice to Web browser

,----[ Quote ]
| People can also exchange documents in Microsoft's Office format or PDF. The
| service also supports the OpenDocument Format standard.
|
| There are already several companies offering online versions of traditional
| desktop applications, including Google, Zoho, and others. Microsoft on Monday
| released Office Live Workspace, which lets people share Office documents on a
| hosted Web server.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9832336-7.html?tag=newsmap

Use OpenOffice.org online with Ulteo !

,----[ Quote ]
| Register to be one of the 15,000 beta users
`----

http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/news/2007/12/11?autolang=en

Ulteo Declares a Desktop Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| Several Linux systems debuted over the last few years with the
| promise of making Linux easier for the ordinary user. The
| lastest of the desktop debutantes is a mysterious Linux know as Ulteo.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15854

Old:

Ulteo's Screenshots (installation in six steps)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here you can see the screenshots for Ulteo, the new kid on the block,
| and claims to be the world's easiest linux.
`----

http://linux.go2linux.org/node/46

Ulteo the new "easiest" linux in the world

,----[ Quote ]
| This new distro claims to be the easiest linux now a days, it is
| based on KUBUNTU, according to Duval, Ulteo is more than just user
| friendly, the Ulteo philosophy is to offer a system where the user
| won't need to spend too much time upgrading, fine tunning and
| managing the system.
`----

http://linux.go2linux.org/node/45

Ulteo Sirius Alpha1 has been released! Towards an "Application Syste

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ulteo.com/main/sirius_alpha_announce.php